• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long to earn a Black Belt

I will not give a black belt out to an A-hole no matter how good he is. He can go to Willy Wanka's Dojo down the street. "Don't let the door it you on the way out!"

I see you studied TKD at some point, how did it work for you there?

At the place I attended it took about 2-3 years to get a blackbelt if you were in relatively good shape. They had belt testing every 2 months or so, and they charged a small fee for belt promotions.

Sounds about the norm. An 8 week cycle. TKD is easy, you just got to stick with it. How far did you get? I have a quarterly (12 week) cycle, every week has a focus and it just repeats per cycle.

I got to red belt before moving to Arizona where I took up Wado Ryu Karate at the Scottsdale Martial Arts center.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently train in BJJ and we don't even have belt promotion testing. A person is usually considered for promotion when they are consistently tapping out people of a higher rank. When someone is ready to move up in rank the head instructor gives him his belt at the end of class. Our belt system is as follows:

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

Black takes 8-10 years in most cases.

seems to show prejudice to women, handicapped and elderly, giving belts based on being tough, vibrant and young, as well as skilled.

Not sure i entirely agree with this. in fact, i know i don't.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I remember asking my Sensei this question many years ago "Sensei how long will it take me to get to black belt" his answer "Not long and Forever". After 33years in the arts I understand!....who ever said I was a little slow!....lol

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

I remember asking my Sensei this question many years ago "Sensei how long will it take me to get to black belt" his answer "Not long and Forever". After 33years in the arts I understand!....who ever said I was a little slow!....lol

A little slow, you're just a glutt'n for punishment. And you love it, as I.

I will not give a black belt out to an A-hole no matter how good he is. He can go to Willy Wanka's Dojo down the street. "Don't let the door it you on the way out!"

I see you studied TKD at some point, how did it work for you there?

At the place I attended it took about 2-3 years to get a blackbelt if you were in relatively good shape. They had belt testing every 2 months or so, and they charged a small fee for belt promotions.

Sounds about the norm. An 8 week cycle. TKD is easy, you just got to stick with it. How far did you get? I have a quarterly (12 week) cycle, every week has a focus and it just repeats per cycle.

I got to red belt before moving to Arizona where I took up Wado Ryu Karate at the Scottsdale Martial Arts center.

What org? WTF, ITF, ATA? I'm just curious. Tell me to shut-up if you want.

I currently train in BJJ and we don't even have belt promotion testing. A person is usually considered for promotion when they are consistently tapping out people of a higher rank. When someone is ready to move up in rank the head instructor gives him his belt at the end of class. Our belt system is as follows:

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

Black takes 8-10 years in most cases.

seems to show prejudice to women, handicapped and elderly, giving belts based on being tough, vibrant and young, as well as skilled.

Not sure i entirely agree with this. in fact, i know i don't.

agreed

ive said it before, but im a very small female

im afraid with this sort of promotion method, i wouldnt get very far

not that i wouldnt know what i was doing...

but against bigger and stronger opponents, it would be more of a case of escaping being tapped out, then being able to tap them out

also a strong guy would be able to tap out weaker people just above his rank, without having as good of technique

and come to think of it...since stronger people would be able to be promoted easier then the weaker/smaller...then the higher ranks would be made of the stronger people, thus making it even more difficult for one such as myself to make it anywhere in the ranking system

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Yep, and such a format would inevitably undermine the quality of instruction, with 'power' and 'strength' being touted as superior to 'technique' and 'conditioning.' In time, such an approach could... in fact would... erode the system, turning it into a "good ol' boy's" 'tough' guy academy.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Yep, and such a format would inevitably undermine the quality of instruction, with 'power' and 'strength' being touted as superior to 'technique' and 'conditioning.' In time, such an approach could... in fact would... erode the system, turning it into a "good ol' boy's" 'tough' guy academy.
BTW I'm 5'4 and 130lbs and can tap out people in my class that weigh anywhere from 160-220, because I've always been rolling at 100% with bigger guys. My technique HAS to be better then theirs to keep up. Actually I find the system has forced me to be alot better then I would be otherwise. But again we are all entitled to our opinion and I respect that you guys have your own.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

BTW I'm 5'4 and 130lbs and can tap out people in my class that weigh anywhere from 160-220, because I've always been rolling at 100% with bigger guys. My technique HAS to be better then theirs to keep up. Actually I find the system has forced me to be alot better then I would be otherwise. But again we are all entitled to our opinion and I respect that you guys have your own.

I have no dout you do just fine, but when it comes to TKD I'm more interested with quality of teq, rather than how much booty that person can kick. I'm a 32 y/o master, what does that mean? Can I beat every 21 y/o that earns a chodan? Sure I can hold my own, do some dammage on the way down, but I'll be going down. And afterward I by the guy a beer, because that's the kind of guy I am, but we have older people taking classes, women taking classes, and yes children. We need a more comprehensive way with dealing with promotions.

The Millitary, a good example. The best and britest make the Officers corps. But they may not have all the skills that some E-1 private has out of boot. So, should a Lt C. be compared to a Private, and said Private may be able to kick his tail be promoted to a higher rank because he may be able to run the Lt.C into the ground. Of course not, there is much more to it.

Where I come from there is simply much more to it than being able to tap someone out. And that's what I test people on.

Depends on what course. Some BJJ adacdemies have children classes. Its based off of how well they tranistion and perfom the techniques as well as how well they can apply them moves on upper belts as well as there own. If they are at least hanging with blue belts giving them heck! THen alot of acadimies will promote them.