How long to earn a Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently train in BJJ and we don't even have belt promotion testing. A person is usually considered for promotion when they are consistently tapping out people of a higher rank. When someone is ready to move up in rank the head instructor gives him his belt at the end of class. Our belt system is as follows:

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

Black takes 8-10 years in most cases.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

I currently train in BJJ and we don't even have belt promotion testing. A person is usually considered for promotion when they are consistently tapping out people of a higher rank. When someone is ready to move up in rank the head instructor gives him his belt at the end of class. Our belt system is as follows:

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

I have heard of this system. It would not work for TKD, I will never endorse the sport style as a reference to rank. And that's what it would take.

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

I have heard of this system. It would not work for TKD, I will never endorse the sport style as a reference to rank. And that's what it would take.

So how is this the ability to force another to submit less of an indicator of martial arts skill then then whatever other systems do? I can't think of any other reasonable way to measure someones skill then live matches against a living opponent.

Deus Ex Remake

And I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, if it works for y'all, go for it. Git'R Done! It would not work for a Martial Art that also teaches tennents that are as immportant as kicking or punching.

And I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, if it works for y'all, go for it. Git'R Done! It would not work for a Martial Art that also teaches tennents that are as immportant as kicking or punching.
I see your point. I guess the system is more then just application of technique or fighting prowess, but also character. Under the system used at my training hall things like character and discipline are obserevd by the head instructor during class when you might not even know you are being watched.

Deus Ex Remake

I will not give a black belt out to an A-hole no matter how good he is. He can go to Willy Wanka's Dojo down the street. "Don't let the door it you on the way out!"

I see you studied TKD at some point, how did it work for you there?

I will not give a black belt out to an A-hole no matter how good he is. He can go to Willy Wanka's Dojo down the street. "Don't let the door it you on the way out!"

At the place I attended it took about 2-3 years to get a blackbelt if you were in relatively good shape. They had belt testing every 2 months or so, and they charged a small fee for belt promotions.

Deus Ex Remake

At the place I attended it took about 2-3 years to get a blackbelt if you were in relatively good shape. They had belt testing every 2 months or so, and they charged a small fee for belt promotions.

Sounds about the norm. An 8 week cycle. TKD is easy, you just got to stick with it. How far did you get? I have a quarterly (12 week) cycle, every week has a focus and it just repeats per cycle.