• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teep and Knees: Kings of the K'O's

Hola fellow pain addicts :bawling: , We had a great tournament style K1 style tournament in Calgary recently and what impressed me the most was the techniques of the winners. Muy Thai reigned supreme as boxing, karate and kickboxing stylist were set up with teeps and finished off with knees. Most of the MT guys used a barrage of teeps to keep the opponents off balance and then closed in to the clinch and started throwing knees at every angle, and guess what, the ones that got through ended the fights. What do u guys think of these techniques? Do u use a similar strategy? I'm short and heavy so have never us teeps alot against my always taller opponents. Love free knees but not clinching knees. Might have to re-think my philosophy? :-?

Donkey

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if you fight thai, you need to be able to clinch. period. however, you don't want to mimic their strategy - they picked something that worked for them -you pick something that works for you. Being that you are short limbed, you may not be able to use the teep to probe and to keep people off balance, but you can use it defensively - to stop them from coming in - then you can clinch and knee. But, like I said, find what works for YOU.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, that is why muay thai is in a league of its own, muay thai they fight with rythem if a british MT vs a thai you will see the thai move with the music.

Im out of muay thai but trying to get back with only 2 months experinced, I use a teep on alot people the result they fall down 5 feet away, its good if you want to set up a move.

There will be a day that you can't cope with your life, I want you to look at the star and remember, I always smile back at you. luV u lots Jen

luta lebre is annother.

we dont use the word teep in my gym so ill guess its where you grab the head and pull to the side and knee? if not please enlighten me :)

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

ohhhh we just call that front kick... but we usually use the back leg thrust kick to get someone off balence then clinch and go for knees and throws (yes you can throw in MT)

Fist visible Strike invisible

Knees are a sweet all rounder IMO.

In Kyokushin we cant clinch, so have to rely on breaking opponents arm-guard to get knees in effectively in a tourny situation.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

ohhhh we just call that front kick... but we usually use the back leg thrust kick to get someone off balence then clinch and go for knees and throws (yes you can throw in MT)

the teep is a front push kick - can be done with either the lead or rear leg (long teep and short teep). It's not only for getting someone off balance - it's a probing technique, just like a jab. you use it to gaughe distance and to set up other attacks. You can also use it defensively to stop someone from closing distance on you.

you actually cannot throw in MT. that doesn't mean that there aren't throws you will be taught though. thai boxing has a rule against judo style throws where you lift them over your body. you can sweep, technically, but once again, you can't do it in a judo type style - you have to kick the leg out from under them - you can't sweep it. you can also push someone down. if you catch their kick, you can hold the leg and walk/push them until they fall.