• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating in your dojo

Dating in our dojo is everywhere but it hasn't gotten in the way of training. My Sensei is married to a former student of his, I got my girlfriend involved and our two Joshu have been dating a long time. In fact, it has helped in some instances. We have found that the couples end up training together outside of the dojo (i.e. doing sticky hands and wristlocks while walking down the street). As a result we are training almost constantly and it's a growth process that we share and help each other through.

We are very lucky though that our circumstances went this way though, and a professional attitude should be kept while training in the dojo regardless of who you go home with after anyways.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, Bleedinglion, I know how you feel. I certainly wouldn't look for a girlfriend at my dojo! :P

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

never had a problem - mostly because before i started instructing i was by far everyones junior - now im in equal age ish with some people im teaching - so im not interested....think theres a REALLY [11 pagesish] long post on this :D

I agree with Bleeding Lion in that sometimes dojos don't have girls that you would even consider dating. That makes it a lot easier on me to concentrate.

"Real men don't fear pain and thus cannot be controlled."

-Fight Club

My Studio Doesnt really care because the instructor is going out with a student anyways

I have been at it for 9 years kicking and punching my way up the ranks now im a blackbelt at the age of 13. Come get me. LOL

I definitely see the problem of dating within one's school, but personally, MAs are such a big part of my life that I can't imagine marrying someone not in MAs. I mean.... yeah, marrying someone who didn't understand that devotion to MAs would just be..... difficult. Hahahahahahahahhaa. It's funny cuz most ppl talk about marrying into their own race/religion or whatever, but I'd like to marry into my own style, b/c whenever I meet an MA guy from a different style, he always starts bashing shorin ryu, and I don't think I could live with that. Haha.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

It all depends upon each individual, or in this case, each individual couple. If they can date without causing a distraction in class and can be mature and go to class as students, not a couple, then let them. Actually, I don't see the sensei as having the authority to tell you you cannot date someone, only your parents can, and only until a certain age. So, if the students are not capable of handling maturely in class, tell them they have to act like students together. If they are not able to do it after the sensei tells them to, then I say the sensei should make both of them take a leave of absence until they can act maturely in class.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.