• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating in your dojo

I know we don't go to are pacticular art to look for women. but some times a pretty girl shows up and you end up liking each other and dating.

I would be honest I wouldn't recommend it. Some instructors even go as far as making it a dojo/dojang/club/kwoon/school policy for no dating. I don't blame them even though I wouldn't go to a school telling me who I can or can't date.

It can be a good thing or a bad thing. Mostly if the relationship doesn't last and you end off on bad terms. THen either one or the other student quits becaue they don't like the other or want to be around them. Or it isn't an enjoyable experience to go to class and see them. Depends on how bad the relationship ends.

I wouldn't recommend it though. Same as dating in the work place. It can turn out good but if you break up on bad terms it can be an unpleasant experience seeing the person all the time.

Any one have any interesting stories that happend at there dojo or school because of people dating.

I definetly wouldn't recommend instructors dating there students. Just bring more drama in your business and personal life.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in MA before my other half. I got him into it when we moved here. We joined this dojang together. I don't forsee us breaking up (we are getting married in the next few years).

So, I don't know if I can really relate to this thread, but I do agree that dating your instructor can be bad. I never done it, but I've heard of this type of thing happening. Not a good thing :(

Laurie F

No some students claim favoristim or many other problems arise.

say you have male instructor and you have female students in class he is dating one. Some time insturctors touch students to correct them they just don't get moves unless you move them. So they move arm postion or what ever. but some people are so insecure they view there partner doing that and consider them flirting imaging he made a certain look or pass at his student when that wasn't the case.

I am glad karatekid your relationship is going well. Like I said it is a good thing or a bad thing depending if the people break up especially bad if its on bad terms to where you NEVER want to see that again. Makes trainign awekward.

I dated a girl in my dojo. One I just went on a couple dates but that wasn't big deal more freindly dates any way. Another one I got serious with and it didn't work out we ended up going are seperate ways but not on the best of terms made trianing not pleasant at all.

Hard to focus on training when your mind is else where.

I agree that it's not a good idea, but I'm afraid that if you're in a situation like I will be, where you teach at a college, it's completely unavoidable. You know somebody's going to end up dating somebody else - maybe even you (if you're their age, which I will be). So, I agree with those saying it's okay as long as you leave it out of the dojo.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I tend to like keeping the two worlds apart makes it easier to concentrate

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

I think any kind of relationship (Instructor/Student or Student/Student) is fine, provided it's kept sensible.

As a tremendous plus side it makes rape replications/scenarios a whole lot easier as the couples/partners can work together, which is also good for demonstration purposes for others.

Take care,

Garth.