• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Several MAs

I see people around here listing a half dozen names of different MAs under their ID. Questions for people training all these different MAs:

Are you training all of them currently? (If you are training all of them, how often do you train them?)

or

Is it more of your MAs history? (Would you say that you knew each of these styles?)

Thanks!

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the seventies to the eighties, I trained in traditional martial arts including Shotokan, WadoRyu, and Taekwondo.

In the nineties, I simultaneously trained in Kempo, kickboxing, and Brazilian Jujitsu.

Currently I train in Kajukenbo.

Do I know any of these arts? No. I'm always learning.

What works works

My ID as three. I did TSD first (which was mixed with three other styles). I do TKD now, but I did Judo for a little while till my instructor quit teaching here. He was three hours away, and willing to drive this far. I kinda don't blame him, but I do miss it.

Laurie F

I've always wondered if it's a problem for those training in several arts, either at the same time, or not. Apparently, there are some instances where confusion arises, but for the most part, it's a good way to gain MA knowledge.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Up until last year i had studied individual styles, maybe doing one or two at a time. Then i created my own syllabus which is an amalgamation of all of all of the fighting arts i have trained in. So i basically created my own style.

Rick.

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

I trained in kickboxing at the same time i was training in kyokushin and i earn my black belt in kickboxing while i had bown belt in kyokushin , so yeah , one can train in two or more styles however , if you want to cross train in two styles , they better be complemnt to each others - karate + judo , MT+BJJ , any good striking art + any good grappling art -

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

It dependson on the training focus. I wouldnt do something like Ed Parker Kenpo and Shotokan karate at the same time. Maybe after I doBuine enough of one to get teh fundamentals down. Understanding and applying alot of the concepts and get at least a decent base in it.

because thats when confusion arises.

developing a decent base is whats key. but something like BJJ and karate or judo and some other striking art is okay.

As for me I already have my base so I go to other arts now but I am not big on arts or whole systems in general I train what I like. I enjoy doing bjj but I wouldn't mind learning wrestling also but not the whole art of wrestling most just the take downs and developing that.

So it all depends. but doing to much arts at same time. Can get confusing and annoy your instructor.

I can see why some insturcotrs don't like there students training in other arts if they are same type as far as both stand up type styles because it is a disrutpion in class. (e.g) some students do moves they learned in other style or teach other students that stuff during class or keep bugging the instructor with questions like "well this style its called this name and we do this punch this way. why don't we do that here?"

I don't care if other people trian in other styles at the same time if they have specific reason for it to impove on. It is worthless to do if you want to understand the art and its principles in it if your just starting martial arts and don't have a base to build off of. but if your going to diffrent arts for specific things you want to lean then thats fine. (e.g) taking wrestling not to do the whole art but for the idea of learning some take downs that would compliment your BJJ if you did that.

Idea is to learn to get good at some thing. seeking quality as opposed to quanity.

Some people like that though they love learning diffrent forms and diffrent stuff and seek to learn as much as they can but to much info leads you to memorizing the patterns but not being able to apply the moves because your focusing more on qaunity of stuff you got to learn.

I didn't have a problem with mixing styles with TSD. It wasn't my choice, actually. My instructor blended pieces of each pretty well (Hapkido, Thai boxing and Jujitsu). It kind of just "worked" with the way he picked and chose pieces of each.

My problem was that when I moved, I started TKD. I had a hard time with changing sparring rules (from TSD to TKD), and some techniques (similar, but yet, they weren't). I had to un-learn to learn. I also think for the fact that I knew how to do certain things that the TKD school doesn't teach hardly (breakfalls), I used to my advantage to help others. Because we do take-downs, I taught a few how to actually take a fall.

But when it came to Judo, I picked that up real fast (with the little bit of Jujitsu I learned, I think it helped). I thought that TKD and Judo worked well. I didn't confuse the two. Good mix :) To me, anyways.

Laurie F

Yeah mix of grappling and striking work.

Imagined doing tkd and tang so do same time though. THat would be awekward becaue of diffrent rules and variations of how to do stuff. maybe your at your other school and you do a move form the school you trained at before it can be frusterating.

I actually cross train... but my majority [by a LONG LONG way] is TKd, so thats the style i list.... becuase at heart im always going to be a TKDer