• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can Budo really be taught in today's society?

shinteki

Greetings

I am new to this form thing, however I am no stranger to the budo arts. I have a simple question that is stated in the title of this thread. After teaching karate for more than two devades I must say that I find it harder and harder to teach budo...real budo these days. I don't know if that is such a bad thing, its just my observation.

Thank you

Sensei Sherman herill said this the best, "real budo is like life, sometimes its going to hurt a little bit."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's interesting, I was thinking about something similar to this a few days ago.

I think that budo is like religion, in a way; it seems like you have less followers, but you have to remember that it's a good cause, a good thing we do.

Thus far, I've been taught to expect the unexpected with respect to karate, but even though there is a good chance that we karateka will never use our skills, you just never know.

Even though it seems harder and harder to teach (and even learn) budo nowadays, keep in mind that dojos are still up and running, and that there are people that are completely faithful to the art. There are also more and more people that are joining. I have a friend who started coming to watch my karate classes, and after 4 or 5 times, decided to join. There's still hope! Hang in there.

If it weren't for the people who love the martial arts (and Patrick!), this website wouldn't exist.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

It depends, I think you have to tailor budo to today's world. I teach using traditional terms and methodology, but I through in as much "hip hop culture" as I can to relate to my younger bunch. I find ways to slip in some zen in ways they can relate to, and just generaly try to make karate do a part of their world, not the other way around. The values and lessons of budo should never be changed, but I think that by giving them a face lift, they become much more understandable to today's youth.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

If it weren't for the people who love the martial arts (and Patrick!), this website wouldn't exist.

Yes, there are people that love the martial arts... and then there is Patrick. :lol: That made my day.

Thanks. :D

LOL! No problem! :D

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."