• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ignorance of Western Martial Arts

Given the oppurtunity, would you train in a Western Martial Art  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Given the oppurtunity, would you train in a Western Martial Art

• Yes, even if I had to give up my current style.
    • Yes, but only if I could still train in my current style.
    • No, Western martial arts are inferior to Asian.

Glockmeister said:

You know what would be cool? A guy trained in catch wrestling, savate, and german grappling (plus boxing) goes into a UFC match and dominates his opponent. Then WMA would get the same respect that BJJ does!

Some people wouldn't like that, but I think it'd be great!

Don Frye won the UFC in Feb of 96 and again in Dec of 96 years back and he was a boxer/wrestler. He dominated the matches he won, but I don't think that boxing and wrestlinge unique enough to garner attention to the western martial arts in the way that we want.

Also, Mark Coleman won a few times and he was a strict wrestler.

pressureguy

]===[------------------------>

http://www.backyardmartialarts.org

]===[------------------------>

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capoeira has grown in popularity (at least there's quite a number of places that teach Capoeira here in Hawai'i) to the point where literature is beginning to emerge that people can read-up on. If you want to educate yourself on it, there is some well researched literature on it by Nestor Capoeira in a book called Capoeira: Roots of the Dance-Fight-Game. The book details the philosophy of capoeira, its tumultous history, and outlines some exercises and techniques. The book is also a brief history lesson on Brazil which I found eye-opening. He's also written a book called The Little Capoeira Book which preceded his Capoeira. It's much shorter (130 or so pages compared to his follow up which is 340 pages).

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

Does anyone think that there may be other divisions, other then Western vs Eastern, that may also demonstrate large differences in popularity.

Iknow personally that I prefer stand up fighting techniques rather than the BJJ, wrestling styles even though I'm convinced they are very effective. I just don't like getting up close and personal and rolling round the floor.

I think its also the media that plays a factor in the Lack of information of western martial arts. Cause the media generalizes martial arts as an Asian invention but forgot got the west has its own cause the asian martial arts are more marketable, Ill will admit i was ignorant of western Martial arts untill i watch the history channel where they showed Midivel weapons and unarmed combat and also in a near by park i saw some guys practicing with the european broadsword

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

markusan, I bet I could change you r mind :)! There is plenty of stand up fighting in WMA, tho.

Skeptic, I'd be THRILLED if most western martial arts had the same level of popularity as capoeira.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

western MA arnt popular? last time i checked there where a ton more boxers and wrestlers in the US that MA. not to mention many of the western MA are already covered by asain MA.

Fist visible Strike invisible

You also have to look at the way laws were in Europe and the west vs Asia durring the time these arts were developed. By and large carrying weapons was normal in Europe and the US. Knives, sticks or staffs, all were available. With the advent of reliable firearms the prevelance of western martial training was focused on use of the gun and away from hand to hand combat. Why wrestle or punch when you can just shoot the guy?

If you do look at the old german fence manuals you will find techs for sword use as well as unarmed combat. Very cool stuff and highly overlooked.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Muaythai boxer:

Wrestling and boxing are certainly popular, but have yet to shake off their status as sports and be considered true MARTIAL arts.

niel:

The laws are certainly a factor, and I have considered that. And as long as you're mentioning guns vs. punches, most firearm tactics systems were developed in the West, and, in my opinion, are under sppreciated WMA.

Anyway, despite those laws, westerners still developed highly effective unarmed and armed methods.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!