• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What exactly is a McDojo?

part of when you sign up. There is always going to be hiddien fee's. Some instructors push touramnets heavily they don't make it required but it is strongly encouraged in some schools and that cost extra. sparring gear obviously will cost extra. So there are fee's that will be payed in martial arts. which doesn't make it a mcdojo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - you have your general costs assosiated with the school and MAs in general.... but then you can get all the other things - termination fee for contacts, leaving fees in general, etc. etc.

McDojo Sounds like what they call a McNuggets in Japan

I have been at it for 9 years kicking and punching my way up the ranks now im a blackbelt at the age of 13. Come get me. LOL

No I was just saying that McDojo sounds like what they could call McNuggets in Japan.... Thats all

I have been at it for 9 years kicking and punching my way up the ranks now im a blackbelt at the age of 13. Come get me. LOL

Things to watch out for, and what should send warning signals to your brain, are:

1. contracts of one year or more,

2. additional charges for each belt testing,

3. additional charges for each belt testing, regardless of whether you fail,

4. excessive cost for receiving the new belt,

5. multiple sub-belts. I.e., Orange belt 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Combined with the belt testing charges, and the charge for receipt of a new belt, this can turn out to be outrageous,

6. being required to pay half of a contract fee, in advance,

7. 20 or more students per class,

8. no private instruction, or private instruction being an 'extra' expense,

9. a ninja club for the kiddies,

10. a junior black belt club for the kiddies,

11. lots of games and exercises, little actual training,

12. instructor demonstrates, does not supervise well, and does not explain,

13. almost complete absence of a traditional feel,

14. instructors had 3 years or less of actual training,

15. senior instructor had 6 years or less of actual training before opening up the school (not to be confused with the actual amount of time the school has been around).

Essentially, it is buyer beware. If you watch some classes and feel unimpressed, or are watching the instructors doing silly mistakes, or mostly watched 'confidence-building' exercises instead of actual technique studies, then your common sense should kick into gear, and you should be booking for the door.

Unless those things noted above are what you're looking for. Then, by all means... enjoy.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

"8. no private instruction, or private instruction being an 'extra' expense, "

This is really the only one I disagree with. I've never been to a school that has free private instruction. I know they exist but you cannot consider that a qualification for a non-McDojo, or "real" school. In fact, I'd be willing to say wityh some confidence that a school with free private instruction (as in a monthly fee that inclues X number of private lessons) is in the extreme minority.

Otherwise I agree with the rest of your points.

1. contracts of one year or more

Actually a sign of a good school, one that requires more than a month to month commitment where people just drop in and out

2. additional charges for each belt testing

Another possible sign of a good school if their belt testings provide value such as guest judges to ensure consistent standards and ranks that are issued by a recognized organization, not just the school.

7. 20 or more students per class

Could very well be a sign of a great program with excellent student retention. I'd be afraid of a school that could not attract and keep a significant student base.

8. no private instruction, or private instruction being an 'extra' expense

Like anything else in life, if the private instruction is valuable, it is worth paying for. Remember, you usually get what you pay for. There is plenty of cheap training out there, but is that what you want?

9. a ninja club for the kiddies

10. a junior black belt club for the kiddies

This world would be a much better place if more children had good martial arts training. I am proud to do my part instilling character and martial arts values in the children I teach!

13. almost complete absence of a traditional feel

A matter of taste, not a sign of a McDojo. There are many excellent kickboxing schools and Brazilian jui jitsu schools that have very little "traditional" martial arts feel.

14. instructors had 3 years or less of actual training

I agree with you on this point. In fact, the instructor should have had at least several years in an actual instructor training program after receiving his black belt. Earning a black belt does not mean you can teach.

--

Actually a sign of a good school, one that requires more than a month to month commitment where people just drop in and out."

Requiring people to sign legally binding contracts to ensure you get paid is far from a sign of a good school. If it is indeed a good school there should be no need for a contract as the program should hold a majority of the students. A contract simply guarantees the owner money. When you hear someone say "we require contracts because our Sensei gives as much as he expects from his students" that simply means "I want to make sure I get my money." It does not mean "you should show commitment by forking over $700 in advance or signing a 12-month contract to "prove" your commitment."

Another possible sign of a good school if their belt testings provide value such as guest judges to ensure consistent standards and ranks that are issued by a recognized organization, not just the school.

I agree if that is what the funds are being used for. I've seen schools charge in excess of $300 for black belt fees! Unless they are flying in masters and grandmasters from around the country (which they most likely are not) the fee should be just enough to cover whatever expenses arise.

Could very well be a sign of a great program with excellent student retention. I'd be afraid of a school that could not attract and keep a significant student base.

I agree.

This world would be a much better place if more children had good martial arts training. I am proud to do my part instilling character and martial arts values in the children I teach!

Those "Tiny Tigers" and "Junior Black Belts" are nothing but marketing ploys to draw in ignorant parents to drop off their kids for a few hours a week. Teaching youth quality MA is a whole lot different than using "cutesy" marketing gimmicks.

A matter of taste, not a sign of a McDojo. There are many excellent kickboxing schools and Brazilian jui jitsu schools that have very little "traditional" martial arts feel. "

I'm 99% sure he was referring to arts that are grounded in tradition. For example, a Hung Gar Kung Fu school that ignores all of the traditional aspects and just pushes people through the ranks.