• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted said:

If you can't get a good angle, slap.

I do this often!

G95champ said:

I break with a palm a lot in fact its about all I use.

Sure, I would to, because targetting isn't as hard when you're hitting something that dosen't move.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

also to point out - isnt a palm heel strike done with an extended hand [fingers arent bent]?

True .

I don't think it's overrated , however I think it's missused .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

yes, I often extend fingers when I strike. This makes it darn near impossible to hurt your knuckles, but, for me, makes it even harder to create a flat striking surface.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Kaminari said:

Subgrappler, thanks for your comments. I thought I heard Royce Gracie used it once (in UFC 1, I think) ?

Royce used them all the time, because he didnt want to chance breaking his hand. Back in the first UFCs, it was all bareknuckle matches, and many fighters were forced to withdrawl due to a broken hand. Royce strategy generally consisted of taking and opponent down, mounting him, hitting him with palm strikes until he turned over, and then finishing with the RNC.

As far as Bas's matches in Pancrase, I never did see a whole lot of their matches, but I do know that he knew how to throw a palm strike. What I was trying to say was that a closed fist strike is a much more powerfull strike delivered at a greater risk.

But a palm heal strike would effectivly knock down an opponent , just as closed fist strike would do !!

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I think I would almost rather use a palm strike than a chop - less chance of breaking your fingers if you messed up. They can actually hurt a lot more than a closed-fist strike as well, if you do them right.

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

This is my first message on the forum, so hello to you all!

In my experience in using the heel palm strike, it is very effective. when fighting someone in the street, if and when it ends up on the floor and you can manage to get on top, using it to strike to the head instead of punching means that if your opponent moves and you miss, you won't smash the bones in your hand on the asphalt.

The wisdom on Rodney Dangerfield.

"I was such an ugly baby. My mother never breast fed me. She told me that she only liked me as a friend."

"I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and radio."

"With my wife, I don't get no respect. The other night there was a knock on the front door. My wife told me to hide in the closet!"

Personally, I prefer the palm strike to a punch. Really, the only closed-fist technique I like is the backfist. It's all about knowing where to hit, too. A palm strike done improperly is less powerful than a punch, yes - but a properly executed one means you are hitting with about the same surface area, and about the same force. On the subject of targeting, a palm strike to the ribcage or jaw joint works a lot better than a punch, and is more likely to incapacitate an opponent. Plus, it's easier to not hurt your hand, haha!

In Christ,

Master Phil Stewart

4th Dan Tang Soo Do