• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC or K-1

Another good point,

but what about in cases like Ortiz Vs. Shamrock, they went to the ground, and stayed there for like three 3minute rounds, all because the fighters were being instantly productive.

Its a lot harder to try and score a submission than it is to ground and pound, especially if the opponent is not exauhsted.

Cheers.

Ortiz was a Ground and Pound wrestler who executed his gameplan well, and that fight was anything but boring (although it was rather lopsided).

As far as it being easier to G&P than submission, thats natrually obvious- a submission stands a high chance of instantly ending a fight. Ground and pound punishes and wears people down rather than knock the them out outright (i.e. knockouts are reserved to a constant battering effect as opposed to a flash knockout as seen on the feet). Its difficult to punch from inside someones guard, especially if they've got good skills from their back.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer the submission game. Submission fighters are ALWAYS a threat at any time during a match. Case example would be Nogueira vs Cro Cop- all it took in one of the most lopsided fights was Nog to take advantage of one successfull takedown and end the fight. Ground and pound fighters cant always do the same. Sean Sherk vs Matt Hughes is an example I use for that one. Both are great G&P fighters and it wasnt until the 4th round of their fight that Sherk was able to put Hughes on his back, but he needed more time than he had in order to effectively finish him because his submission skills werent on par with his wrestling skills.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G&P is simply hitting someone from any top position in grappling.

Some fighters use it exclusively (Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture) some hardly utilize it instead relying on submissions (Nogueira) and some have an excellent combo of the two (Fedor)

G&P is simply hitting someone from any top position in grappling.

Some fighters use it exclusively (Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture) some hardly utilize it instead relying on submissions (Nogueira) and some have an excellent combo of the two (Fedor)

I mean I know what it is.What I'm asking is if it comes from any specific style,or is just improvised because it seems to work well?
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I mean I know what it is.What I'm asking is if it comes from any specific style,or is just improvised because it seems to work well?

No style really had ground and pound. Its just a natrual progession of a fight- it goes to the ground, and one guy happens to be on top- might as well take a swing at him.

Mark Coleman was one of the first people who popularized the ground and pound game, and most wrestlers fight with this strategy. The thing with ground and pound is that it doesnt need to be taught in the same way that striking on the feet does. On the feet, successful striking relies on good timing, good combinations, and good counters. This does not hold true on the ground, because mobility is so limited. Positioning skills are more important for ground and pound in this respect.

Its a technique or method of fighting thats attained through positional dominance, so no, there arent really any "drills" where you practice beating the hell out of someone else.

For example, no one needs to be "taught" how to punch someone when they're mounted on someone else. The hard part isnt punching the guy, its getting that position in the first place.

Most grapplers who are ground and pound practice grappling the same way any other grappler would.

Hey,

I have noticed that fighters that come from a wrestling background tend to use ground n' pound because of their proficiency at getting to the mount position. Some wrestlers also are not well versed in submissions and once they get their opponent to the ground this is the only thing that they really are good at. (Please realize that I'm not trying to generalize, its just something that I have noticed with some wrestlers)

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa