• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but the idea in the army is to make the person a potent killer as fast as possible and lets face it aikido really is not for killing at the lower levals

Aikido isn't for killing at any level. But it is a great self-defense tool that can be used to save your own life.

You'd be surprised how well a .222 bullet fired out of a M-16 can kill someone...I don't think they need to rely on Aikido's lethality.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikido is not for killing at any level. If your intent is to kill people then I doubt you would be studying aikido in the first place. If your intent is to diffuse a situation before killing is the only option then aikido is worth the time and effort.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

Haha, awesome. I didn't even see Enviromans post before I replied. Glad to see we're on the same page.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

i am good friends with an aikido teacher and there is a closeline neckbreak tword the later levels.

if someones gun (i hate guns) runs out of ammo and he is being attacked then he may need to use lethal force and aikido is not really for good for lethal conflict.

Fist visible Strike invisible

You bring up a good point that's not immediately clear unless you've read some of Morihei Ueshibas outlook on aikido.

It is very true that kaitenage, shihonage, koshinage, kotagaeshi, iriminage, etc can be very lethal. There is an almost imperceptable difference between throwing an opponent and ripping their arm out of it's socket. However, if any of these techniques are done with the intent to harm or kill it's not aikido anymore.

very true so that is why aikido is not good for the army, great for police as there job is to take someone alive and unharmed although BJJ or JJJ could do it just as well

Fist visible Strike invisible

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in the Army we never were taught akido, they showed you some basics hand strikes, elbows, knees and how to do a hip throw, thats about it as far as your initial hand to hand, I hear now the army is moving more towards brazilian jiu jitsu. I think that is great as long as they keep training the old course also basically just adding some BJJ techniques to the course.

Now what you learn at your unit is way different. That article is about a soldier training members of his unit, so its not an army wide course just those who are there with this akido instructor are learning it.

I personally dont feel akido is the right thing for the Army, I agree with teaching soldiers to move in quick strike hard take the enemy to the ground while the soldier is still standing and finish them from there, stomps to the throat head you name it training BJJ is good so if they end up on the ground, we have to remember Military have a way different objective than law enforcement, trust me I know I have done both and the hand to hand is so very different for many reasons a lot because of the courts and laws which are different on the battle field than on the street as a cop.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• 2 months later...