• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why everyone hates Taekwondo

That may be a factor Master H, but judo, boxing and wrestling are in the Olympics and they haven't lost one iota of their initial reputations. And although i agree that all three have been developed for 'competition,' all three provide exceedingly effective techniques outside of competitions.

In fact, judoists and wrestlers have been a significant presence in UFC and similar competitions, which more closely replicate real 'high-calibre' confrontations than any other form of sanctioned competition out there.

On the other hand, in the K-1's, a competition where tkd should have made a significant showing, the competitors have been rather lackluster, or had to rely on 'other systems' they mastered, such as muay thai.

These things hurt the tkd reputation... but even then, there's something far more pervasive. It may be that presentation of tkd into the olympics has made it a goldmine for profiteering '1-year masters,' but i'm not altogether convinced that is the endall.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely do not dissagree with you about TKD, we have work to do. Judo has not lost a rep? They use to kick, take down an opponite and follow up, not just walk away. Sport Judo has changed Judo in it's entirety. As for wrestling and boxing, I can not comment. I really don't know much about the history of either only in wrestling the competitors would grapple naked, good change.

Look, I know there are some issues. Some of us are working on it, in our own little corner. It took me 20 years to get my Master button. So some of us "old timers" are still out there fighting the good fight. As for the McDojo's, there is nothing anyone can do about them. The ATA that I used to love has been taken over by them. For some people it's about the money. What can I say?

i know i will get alot of crap for this but i believe personaly that TKD as an art is flawed for SD and full contact fighting sempley because of the way the art is practiced there are usually no low kicks tought and if they are they are not used in sparing, hand strikes to the head are usually neglected and rarely used in actual competition, grapling does not exist in TKD (some schools have incorperated it) but it is not practiced on a high level. and most schools dont incorperate any real conditoning. dont get me wrong i enjoy TKD but if someone is looking to become a great full contact fighter or get practicle SD TKD is usually not the way to go.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Muaythaiboxer, every taekwondo school I've seen (including mine) teaches low licks AND hand strikes to the head. When sparring in class we use both.

Competition sparring is just that, competition sparring. It is not what we practice on a day-to-day basis. My students know full well that tournaments are not meant to be self-defense practice. They are just for fun.

If your only exposure to taekwondo is from watching competitions, you have only seen a small, rather un-important part of our art. Most of my students have never been to a tournament. Of course there are those who are overly concerned with tournament competition, but that is the small minority.

Conditioning is also an important part of my students' training. I'm not sure what your experience with taekwondo is, but it's certainly not at any of the schools I know of.

--

i know i will get alot of crap for this but i believe personaly that TKD as an art is flawed for SD and full contact fighting sempley because of the way the art is practiced there are usually no low kicks tought and if they are they are not used in sparing, hand strikes to the head are usually neglected and rarely used in actual competition, grapling does not exist in TKD (some schools have incorperated it) but it is not practiced on a high level. and most schools dont incorperate any real conditoning. dont get me wrong i enjoy TKD but if someone is looking to become a great full contact fighter or get practicle SD TKD is usually not the way to go.

You have valid points, but not all TKD schools are WTF affiliated. Meaning not all TKD schools are "sport." I practice hands to the head and sweeps. And so do my students whom are ready. Forgive me, but what do you mean "SD TKD?"

SD= self defence

actually i have practiced TKD for 9 years and in every school i have ever been in none have practiced strikes to the head in sparing and none have done low kicks or grappling in sparing.

MasterH you seem to have a great deal of information concerning your art and im happy to hear that you use hands to the head and sweeps but people who are truely proficient at TKD seem to be in the minoraty and in my experience most TKD schools in the mid west are now mcdojos.

last time i checked the ATA was the bigest TKD chain in the world and i have yet to meet a BB from the ATA who i would give half a chance in a MMA match the same with WTF and ITF schools.

Outside the martial arts world:

I think most people who make fun of it have taken it when they were little, and hated it because they got bored with it. Then they tell all of their friends how dumb it was and then everybody makes fun of it.

Inside the martial arts world:

People see Olympic TKD. When they get in close they kind of grab each other. In a real situation, you would get a knee to the groin. Plus, few street fighters use their feet.

Also, because of all the TKD McDojos that are springing up around the world.

Your TKD school doesn't sound at all like a McDojo, White Belt. There are good schools and bad schools. Sounds like you've picked a good one.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

tkdbill what conditioning does your class do because what i consider conditioning is a little bit more hard core than most peoples work out rutine if your students do full contact and regularly do runing/polymetrics/weightlifting then i owe you and your art an apoligy but where i live there is only one TKD school that does these things and the other ten or so are mcdojos.

SD= self defence

actually i have practiced TKD for 9 years and in every school i have ever been in none have practiced strikes to the head in sparing and none have done low kicks or grappling in sparing.

MasterH you seem to have a great deal of information concerning your art and im happy to hear that you use hands to the head and sweeps but people who are truely proficient at TKD seem to be in the minoraty and in my experience most TKD schools in the mid west are now mcdojos.

last time i checked the ATA was the bigest TKD chain in the world and i have yet to meet a BB from the ATA who i would give half a chance in a MMA match the same with WTF and ITF schools.

ATA is just not set up for MMA. That's no secret. It use to be Traditional TKD, controlled point sparring. No wepons, just good solid SD (and thanks for the clarification) TKD. When EGM (eternal Grand Master) H. U. Lee passed away the more commercial ellement took control of the org and there went the block. Granted I left long before EGM Lee passed on, but up to that point, there was still some life left to the traditional political movement. Now it's about money.

As for the ITF fellas, the General died. And he died in North Korea of all places. And that just plain sucks! because now we have a groop out of NK that claims to be in charge of the ITF, the original groop out of Canada says they are in charge, and I believe there is a groop out of Europe who says they are in charge. Would the real Sparticus please stand up! It is so bad that my uncle Master Gerry Brown, 7th Degree, out of Littlton, CO (once the ITF stronghold of the US) broke off with his groop the USTF.

And the WTF. In my opinion, as corrupt as any organized groop can be. They claim to be the rulers of the TKD kingdom, and if it was up to the South Korean government, they would be. Do you know the guy who signs the KKW certificates has not even earned his black belt? But I could be wrong, they just replaced the main guy out there. He coudn't do his job from his jail cell. Racketeering charges!

As you see I have fond memories of the ATA, still even have some friends with them. I don't like the direction they went. The ITF will never be the same, as a mater of fact, it should dissband all together. Leaving, of course, the "sporty spice" WTF to mop up.

Excuse me while I cry.

ATA is just not set up for MMA. That's no secret. It use to be Traditional TKD, controlled point sparring. No wepons

All the ATA schools in my area DO weapons training. I also know a few ATA people who compete in MMA competions and do well. Of course they train in other arts as well. MMA, after all, is mixed martial arts. I would guess that practitioners of any traditional martial art would not fare well in MMA competitions unless they cross-train.

--