• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why everyone hates Taekwondo

But when was the last time you said "YES! I'm going to the auto repair shop!" Or "man, I can't wait to get the bill from the roofing contractor!" It's accepted because the markey allows for it but it doesn't make it ethical.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when was the last time you said "YES! I'm going to the auto repair shop!" Or "man, I can't wait to get the bill from the roofing contractor!" It's accepted because the markey allows for it but it doesn't make it ethical.

I might say YES! I'm installing a new chimney (or pool)! The price the contractor charges you for the materials is about what you would pay at Home Depot to buy them yourself. He gets a much better deal because he buys in volume and has negotiated a low price with a wholesaler.

Fact is, a professional martial artists instructor should charge a fair price, and students should understand that he is not a charity and makes something on everything he charges for.

--

I agree martial arts instructors should be payed more then the service the renderd. Martial arts isn't a relgion or some not profit oginzation. Now some schools may charge more then the others. Oh well go shop some where else then for a martial art school if you can't because itsthe only one around pay the price or don't train!

1. I did not say he should ask for money- but it better be good material he gives out. as commercialized as martial arts have become its hard to find a good school where they teach you well.

2. there are some very good instructors out there and how they give their classes will give out great training for the students.

3. I dont think belts should be sold simply for money however, I think a rank is achieved when you have mastered or know the material you are currently practising.

I do not want to offend anyone, but at least here in Puerto Rico, I havent seen a serious teacher of martial arts teach good Tae Kwon Do. Most students end up leaving martial arts because it was a dead-end road for them......

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

1. I did not say he should ask for money- but it better be good material he gives out. as commercialized as martial arts have become its hard to find a good school where they teach you well.

My thought is that if the customer is willing to pay, then it behooves the customer to determine if the service obtained is acceptable. On this same note, if a customer is not satisfied with the service they obtained, they can always go the lawsuit route (very Californian of me, i know). Such a thing could be devastating to a single-school business, or even a chain. The publicity alone could cause them to lose plenty, so such things would likely be handled with a settlement.

All in all, exploitation exists because people accept the services they receive. Either it is because they don't know what they are receiving, they don't care what they are receiving, or they don't care to dispute after they realize what they are receiving.

So, really, Caveat Emptor applies (buyer beware). Adults are adults and they are responsible for their children's welfare. If the circumstances aren't illegal, the consumer adults don't concern themselves with what they are paying for, or what they are subjecting their child to, what logic is there in putting on a cape and flying to their rescue? Especially if they very likely don't even think they need rescuing...

On the other hand, if there is a strong consensus in the martial arts community that these things should undergo some sort of quality assurance process, a strong group of motivated persons can attempt to form a specialized 'non-profit' consumer organization, geared to obtaining and providing consumer-sourced information about different schools and/or instructors. Indeed, a group of motivated persons here may be able to work with BBB, or some other consumer advocacy group, and create an 'agency' within them that specializes on martial arts schools.

I advocate the latter, as the former would not only be very hard to start-up, but likely expensive to insure (don't doubt you will get sued).

2. there are some very good instructors out there and how they give their classes will give out great training for the students.

A consumer advocacy group could emphasize this as well.

3. I dont think belts should be sold simply for money however, I think a rank is achieved when you have mastered or know the material you are currently practising.

Well, that's always a tough definition to work with. What you may be practicing could very well not be 'black belt' material. As well, you may not have mastered it. It's truly tough to know these things when you're in the inside... and even tougher when you're 'overqualified' to step back and make a reasoned judgement about someone elses performance. As you progress in skill, you become more 'sensitive' to the flaws of those obtaining belts. Why? Because mastering, essentially, is a relative thing.

I do not want to offend anyone, but at least here in Puerto Rico, I havent seen a serious teacher of martial arts teach good Tae Kwon Do. Most students end up leaving martial arts because it was a dead-end road for them......

In truth, i would call that a cop-out on their part. If they leave the martial arts, it's because they never truly entered it. Going to a school and finding it to be substandard can be a bit disconcerting, but someone truly interested in the arts would eventually recognize that it is substandard, and then search for better.

Seriously, do you stop going out with people of your orientation just because your first date turned out to be with a hairy, overgrown ewok?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Great post White Warlock. It would be great if there was an agency or organization that could give the consumer un-biased information about martial arts schools and instructors. Unfortunately, it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Currently, it's not that hard to avoid the McDojo if you're willing to take the time to do a little research and try a few classes. If you think you're in a McDojo, you probably are. Go somewhere else unless a McDojo is what you want. There are those who would rather buy a belt than earn it.

--

Thanks tkdBill. I agree that it may not likely happen anytime soon, especially since the services rendered are 'by taste.' I.e., someone may indeed be looking for a place where their child can stay busy and toss out his/her aggressions for a few hours, rather than actually obtaining skills and inner growth.

Which is the crux of the matter. The riposte' to caveat emptor is personal preference, so being able to maintain a viable consumer group on such things... tough indeed.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Right on the money on what you said about being tough to have a viable consumer report.

Your right it is about taste. What some may think as a mcdojo or unquality information others seem to love and think its the best thing to happen since slice cheese.

Even if they took TKD out of the olympic's it would take a long time to re-establish the arts reputation.

Taekwondo is the most popular art in my opinon but alot of that has to do with the "belt factory" concept and those instructors opening up schools although they may not not have indepth knowledge of the art or the coachig ablility to teach it well.