• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why everyone hates Taekwondo

popular does not equate to better. It is far more popular because many more people who practice TKD are willing to forego quality in order to make a profit. in doing so, they are able to provide a water-downed version and provide a quick-fix for all those who need to gain false confidence, want to learn things that can impress their friends, or get that whole, "i got a black belt" thing over with.

TKD suffers from dilution. It is diluted in the mainstream because of the immense marketing this particular style has allowed. Unlike other systems, such as aikido and judo, there was no 'single' source for TKD. It was a title of a group of hand-me-down systems, from China, Japan and Okinawa, that underwent a variety of changes. When the Korean practitioners decided to strengthen their productivity, they unified all their systems into one title... that of tae kwon do. Then, they went mainstream. Little to no effort was made to 'maintain' the original state of the variety of TKDs presented, nor was there any effort to ensure that what 'was' being called TKD was actually being presented by a qualified instructor from Korea. So, pretty much anyone who had just the basics, and was Korean, found it quite profitable to go to the U.S., teach for 6 months to 3 years, and then move back to their newly purchased 5 bedroom home.

There are still TKD instructors out there, providing quality instruction. But, just like any other art, they are few and far between. The difference is, it's much much harder to find a quality TKD instructor, simply because of all the half-trained profiteers hocking TKD. On the other hand, when you're looking for a quality judo instructor, all you need to look for is the proper Kodokan certifications.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends its not just with taekwondo alot of styles are facing the "belt factory" problem so the new belts and generation are getting less technical each time because of that. Kenpo suffers it karate does as well as tkd.

White Warlock, almost no one goes into martial arts instruction expecting to get rich. It just doesn't happen. Is anyone who makes a living a "profiteer"? Martial arts training is not so worthless that instructors should not get paid to do it.

Finding a good taekwondo school is certainly not harder than finding any other quality martial arts program. There are several organizations that closely regulate standards for student training, belt promotion, instructor training, and instructor certification. Of course you have to be wary of the independent guy who just starts teaching without any verifiable authority to teach, but If you do your homework and check certifications and references as well as observe or try classes you can easily eliminate the McDojos.

--

I guess it gets a bad rap because it's into mostly kicks and high kicks 2,which high isn't a good idea in a real situation

a) kicks are much more effective than punches because they have a longer reach than your arms and utilize some of the largest muscles in your body... as long as you know when to use them.

b) high kicks? heh... that belongs to what we call "demonstrations," my friend. and besides, drilling the kicks high is better for exercise-- if you can do them high, you can do them low.

bill has a good point.But like I asked earlier why are tkd dojangs mixed with hapkido?I see it in the majority of dojangs in my area.Is it like this any where else?

because people have seen the usefulness of mixing a striking art with a grappling one. tkd/(h)a(p)kido combination dojangs are very common. as a matter of fact, i was learning hapkido right before i quit tkd.

I guess it gets a bad rap because it's into mostly kicks and high kicks 2,which high isn't a good idea in a real situation

a) kicks are much more effective than punches because they have a longer reach than your arms and utilize some of the largest muscles in your body... as long as you know when to use them.

b) high kicks? heh... that belongs to what we call "demonstrations," my friend. and besides, drilling the kicks high is better for exercise-- if you can do them high, you can do them low.

bill has a good point.But like I asked earlier why are tkd dojangs mixed with hapkido?I see it in the majority of dojangs in my area.Is it like this any where else?

because people have seen the usefulness of mixing a striking art with a grappling one. tkd/(h)a(p)kido combination dojangs are very common. as a matter of fact, i was learning hapkido right before i quit tkd.

i wouldnt say kicks are more effective than punches,they are great don't get me wrong,but it depends on the range youre fighting from.So if high kicks are for demonstrations and exercise only does that mean that when you spar do u kick only as high as chest and stomach level?Also isn't hapkido also a striking art?
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Actually what irks me the most is ITF practitioners pointing the proverbial finger at WTF schools saying "oh they're not real TKD, but we are" without looking at other schools. I've been to karate clubs, ITF TKD, kickboxing schools, hapkido, and a few others. It looked very similar to what we do at my school. Lots of elbows, knees, and hands along with the kicks. I beleive that these people are feeling pressure to justify they're own choice in martial art to an ever more hostile MA public and they're doing it at the expense of those of us in WTF schools. It's sad and kind of frustrating that within our own art there's such division and this division is hurting us all.

Think I'll just go practice my hand techs, locks, and takedowns. They're still a part of my TKD.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

there's such division and this division is hurting us all.

How exactly is it hurting you? Do you feel like less of a martial artist because other martial artists feel that your style isn't as good as their style is?

Mostly it's just frustration I guess. It's tiresome to see that look other MA'ist give you when you talk shop with them. You know, the "oh you don't do a "real" art" look. It's silly I know, and 90% of the time I could care less what other people think but today I feel like complaining :)

That, and the bad reputation among martial arts can hinder the growth of your art. When a group of knowledgeable people belittle your style it's a definate turn off to potential new students. Not saying TKD needs any more people but I think you get the idea.

And for the record, I do realize that many other MA's get bashed. It's part of the game but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Indeed, style bashing is a hobby for many. On the other hand, there are a lot of crappy schools out there. Even more crappy students. ;)

It all comes down to what works, what doesn't and whether someone is in a cult... or in it to learn and grow. But i do find it hard sometimes when i chat with people who are gungho about their system, yet show ignorance of so many important martial art concepts, or ignorance about other systems as a whole. Especially when those same gungho-types are into style bashing. Can't say it's easy to respect a bigot.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro