• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why everyone hates Taekwondo

its MMA it takes stuff from alot of other arts it usually pretty good. it however claims to be its own art that was invented in greece for the old old olyimpics.

Fist visible Strike invisible

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is historical evidence for an art called Pancration in ancient Greece. Whether the current form of the style is in fact the same thing is up for debate.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Btw, i'm enjoying this discussion (not necessarily in my participation, but in my soaking in). I've never really paid attention to the politics of the tkd organizations and it is nice to get an education here, for a change. ;)

I've been thinking about this, this is a big part of the problem. I really don't like the WTF style of TKD (sport) but they allow their participants the freedoom to grow outside the bounds of that org. The ITF is just in a state of limbo, 3 different branches, and unfortunetly has the best TKD, in not only style but history and tradition. And finaly the ATA has it's own thing going but put all of their students under lock and key, total control. The ATA is huge, boasts 300,000 in it's ranks. This is a good place to start to see what has happened to TKD.

ATA is the American Taekwondo Association, one of the largest groops in the US. The ITF (International Taekwondo Federation) is the original TKD org. The founder of Taekwondo headed up this groop untill his death a few years back.

Edited by MasterH

White Warlock,

Do you have any info on Pancration? My spelling may be off on this. Would you concider this a MMA or an actual MA?

It's an mma. Pancratium is the name of an ancient no-holds barred competition, not an actual system (i.e., an UFC of ancient Greece). The fact a small group of people decided to mix and match techniques and call it Pankration is a mere marketing ploy.

Here are two links to previous discussions:

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=16050

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14337

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

this is why I don't like being involved with Huge orginzations and there petty politics. and all the (he said, she said stuff)

I wish people would just shut up and train!

Yup, I heard dat!

But with the big orgs you also recieve private well organized tournaments, instructor certification, a base curriculem (at least) fellowship with other martial artists, opportunity for advancement. The list of bennifits can go on and on, unfortunately so does the list of problems.