• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why everyone hates Taekwondo

All the ATA schools in my area DO weapons training. I also know a few ATA people who compete in MMA competions and do well. Of course they train in other arts as well. MMA, after all, is mixed martial arts. I would guess that practitioners of any traditional martial art would not fare well in MMA competitions unless they cross-train.

--

An exeption to the rule. And yes ATA has a protech program that teaches a watered down version of some type of weapons program. With padded weapons. I know of no MMA ATA people, again an exeption to the rule. If ATA headquarters knew what they were doing, they'd be asked to stop. My problem with the ATA is not with the participants it's with the "Master Council" and the "Buisness Council." My mom and dad still study ATA Taekwondo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MasterH, MMA competitors are always "exceptions to the rule" the vast majority of practitioners in all martial arts do not enter MMA competitions.

In my area (TX, LA, OK), ATA requires weapons training for all black belts including weapons forms. They cannot advance in rank without it. That's one of the reasons I left them. Master H. U. Lee was an "empty hand" purist who did not approve of weapons training. Very soon after he passed, weapons training started entering the program.

I have the same problems with ATA as you. I left them many years ago because I did not like their direction and politics.

--

TKDBill,

I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. I know the promotion requirements for the ATA, I'm helping my mom whenever she asks. There is a Pancration school up here that teaches MMA with a former TKD instructor so when I think of MMA I think of him. And he's also a friend of mine. May I ask who was your ATA instructor? I have the same instructor as when I was in, we left the same time. You might have heard of him, Master Jack Pierce? (now Grand Master)

it seems that we are in unison when it comes to the large TKD chains. and i have to say it is very nice to hear from some non mcdojo TKD people. and im confused if there are ATA people in the MMA and they are doing well why would they be asked to stop does the ATA have a problem with there members actually being able to fight and defend them selvs? or they just not want the image of being a legit organisation and would rather be thought of as a mcdojo? i still have quite i few friends in the ATA i personally i dont know why they still go can someone please give me some answers as to why the large chain TKD schools are so appealing?

Fist visible Strike invisible

TKDbill,

Chief Master Robert Allemier, way cool. There is a big thump'n Texan for you!

Muaythaiboxer,

I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but the ATA here in the Pac NW was very strict on what you can do and were you go in the Martial Arts community. My instructor had an open tournament nickname "Crazy Jack" and he was told to either quit the tourn circuit or he would never make 5th Degree, he was getting older anyway so he did the political thing and quit. For years there was a standing order that any open tourns had to be approved, very few were. I think it was just one of thoes control things. As for why they were appealing, it's a family. A big disfunctional family, but the ATA was it for alot of us. Dare I say like a cult?

All the ATA schools in my area DO weapons training. I also know a few ATA people who compete in MMA competions and do well. Of course they train in other arts as well. MMA, after all, is mixed martial arts. I would guess that practitioners of any traditional martial art would not fare well in MMA competitions unless they cross-train.

MMA, in reference to the competitions, means mixed martial arts, referring to the allowance of different styles to compete against each other, not that all the competitors are mixed martial artists, or eclectics as it used to be called.

As to the thought that a purist practitioner wouldn't fare well in an MMA, that is definitely not necessarily true. The Gracies practiced 'one' system. Many of the great wrestlers that competed in the UFC relied on 'one' system. Judo and sambo purists, from around the world, have competed and done quite well in MMAs. Many others relied on their 'one' system... to 'win.'

What matters is not as much the system, or systems, but the conditioning.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Btw, i'm enjoying this discussion (not necessarily in my participation, but in my soaking in). I've never really paid attention to the politics of the tkd organizations and it is nice to get an education here, for a change. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro