• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is it fair??

jiyaku-san

is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?

• yes
    • no
    • only for special surcumstances

You know, at first, I voted no, but then, as I read through everything...I think I'm going to say yes.

I'm 17. I've been training for not 5, but 11 years. That's the third longest in our dojo. Due to age restraints, it took me basically 10 years to acquire my...shodan, right? (1st black). I tested for my shodan with a guy who was going for his...nidan (2nd)...this guy is a great martial artist, and I respect him very much...but I've been training for 4 years longer than he has. I think he deserves the rank...but I'd say I deserve it, too. If I had started when I was 16 instead of 6, I'd be a...whatever third dan is...now.

So, yes...if you've put in the time and you've got the skills, I think you should be able to wear what you deserve.

On the other hand, I think you need to be able to demonstrate the maturity (both physically and mentally) needed to have such rank. If you started when you were two, you shouldn't be a nidan by the time you're 12. I still think 16 is a good age for shodan, but I would also say that, if you've put in the time, you should have the opportunity to accelerate your rank-getting until you catch up to where you would be.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

PS. I was essentially a first kyu (they called it a junior black belt, but I was a glorified brown belt) for four and a half, five years, before I got my shodan, thanks to the age requirements. I've known all the nidan requirements, however, for about two.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember, if she has been training since she was 10, she has had a lot more free time to train than most people over 18....

So, as long as she can show that she is worthy of being that rank, she should keep it.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

i think its down to the student [again] - depends on how mature they are.... black belt isnt just about doing the move sright....

At my dojo, minimum age for shodan is 13years, not sure about nidan though.
What country do you train in? That seems like a young age for shodan. I think you probably do not train IKO then if that is the age limit.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

i think there should be a general rule about age but flexible enough for exceptions. i think 97% of people should be held under the 16/18 rule and the other 3% considered for an exception.

the experience of someone doing 2 years of MA at 8 is drastically different from the one you get if you started at 18. Just look in dojos, i dont even think students starting MA under 10 understand 50% of what they're being taught. However, very few of them will show you they actually understand and those are among the 3% i mentionned earlier.

Here is my take: everything is shown on the mat. if you can show you're nidan, then you're nidan no matter how old you are. We had a 19 year old sandan visiting our dojo not long ago and my sensei told me afterwards that he was just a good 3rd kyu.

heck, lets go back to the old good times and get rid of belts completely, that would put our minds back into trainning and true learning. Wont happen though, people like their belt too much.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle