• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is it fair??

jiyaku-san

is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. is it fair to go to second dan before you are 18?

• yes
    • no
    • only for special surcumstances

Excessively much emphasis placed on grading. After 29 years of training, I am a Yon-Dan. I am not looking for promotion but true learning. Now, at 15 years young I do not believe she is mature enough to be a sho-dan never mind ni-dan. Minimal time before promotions and such seems more a moneymaker than true learning. I know there are individuals that may disagree with that. I am open for discussion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensai Isshinryu,

Grading in MA, just like grading in schools, can be good or bad. A good teacher can test for "true learning", and then the promotion is also a representation of that same "true learning". If the grading doesn't grade the right knowledge, if it is superfluous to understanding, or if the quality of instruction is not there in the first place, then the grading degrades to worthlessness.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I think that if a person truly possesses the maturity to understand what it means to have second dan, much less a black belt, as well as the skill, then, it's alright. It's very debatable to many people, though.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

We grade when Sensei tell us to. I think this is a better method in deciding if a student is ready to grade. The use of a 'system' to decide if a student is ready is falable becasue all students are different.

Is this girl grading because Sensei has looked at her technique and said "hmm, she looks ready to test for 2ndDan"?

OR

is she grading because she has 'done her time in 1stDan' and therefore claims the right to grade?

i think it is because their sensai said she could but 5 years is a little too short a time to go to second dan in my opinion. in my club you have to be 18 and over to go for anything higher than 1st dan. i have been training for 7 years and currently hold 1st kyu..

live by karate, live for karate, live karate...

Hey everyone.

I believe that if you are capable of performing kihon, kata, and kumite at black belt level and if you have met the required time period to grade to black belt, then you are fully deservant of the black belt.

Cheers. :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

Surely it's fair if they are good enough. Everyone is different and it takes some of us (includng me) longer to learn than others. Some people have more of a natural flair. And then there's the hours put in training as well as the number of years.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

if the kid can show what he/she has learned and is properly instructed, of course.....

I know people who've been training since 8 years old... can u say that by the time they reach 18 they havent earned the rank of 2 dan? if they deserve it and can show what they know, it should be theirs

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

I got my first ranks pretty quickly, of course, I trained twice as hard as the people who were training with me, I still do and that gives me the advantage be it at showing what I know or fighting/sparring.

It all depends on how hard you train and how hard you want it- me, I dont do it for the rank, I do it because I want to be the best at what I do.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

i personally dont think anyone of 15 yrs of age, with only 5 years of training has had enough experience to be nidan. i don;t know her though. maybe she's awesome. or maybe the sensei needs that $$

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."