• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Addicted

Hello KF :D

Since I started Shotokan, for about 8 months now (wow it went by fast), all I can think about is Martial Arts. It is really all I can think about :lol: I always just want to go to class and learn/practice MA.

I don’t mean this like an addiction/obsession where I don’t eat or sleep, or my grades are going bad in school, actually it is actually quite opposite.

I was wondering if the MA addiction goes down a bit as I progress, or does it get even bigger as I get more experienced, wiser, older etc…I hope I never loose this urge to always want to do MA because I think it helps we improve a lot, and I am reading a lot about the history, and just learning a lot more.

I don’t know if anyone feels this way, well actually I know a few people that do, and just being on these forums you have to have some kind of dedication to your MA because you keep coming back. Are the most of you addicted to Martial Arts?

Sorry about the long post, and thanks for reading it.

P.S. Just as a side note, when I type MA, I mean Martial Arts

Thanks,

Ncole_91 :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I varies from person to person. Many people are obsessed like that merely because it's new. They then burn out and quit. Some keep the obsession, and some keep training, but tone it down some.

I personally am obsessed. I have been for years.

I share that same obsession since green belt a long time back and it only gets bigger as you go along b/c every kata gets better more weapons, full contact sparring, etc....It never stops getting better :D

BTW: OMG wait until you learn tekki shodan and kanku dai....But 8 months you got a while to go before these :D

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

"put your every day living into karatedo and find the ideal state of existance"- iska master camp 2005 theme

the way that i find it, karate is compatible to just about everything because of the benefits reaped from practicing it. its fine to be obsessed, as long as it doesnt alter other aspects of your life for the worse, or you start a cult over it :o (chung moo).

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

July is my eighth month, and I am just as obsessed. I love nothing more than getting together with the friends that joined MA with me and practising in the back yard. It's wonderful. Hopefully we both keep up our interest and momentum!

36 styles of danger

I really enjoy MA as well, the addiction goes beyond the physical though. I enjoy it for its social aspect as well.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Yes i feel the same way i just came from training and learned a new Kata and i cant wait for for the next session i feel so energized :kaioken:

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Same for me.... completely obsessed with my training....but hasnt always been that way, started out for the first couple of months as something to do.... think was after my first grading i really got obsessed, and now it has pretty much taken over my life....

I varies from person to person. Many people are obsessed like that merely because it's new. They then burn out and quit. Some keep the obsession, and some keep training, but tone it down some.

I am one of those people that go through different "phases" of things such as golfing, skateboarding etc... And I never stuck to any of them. ( I am sure everyone has had those). Anyways its been almost a year (sort of) and I still love MA. I hope that this isn’t a long phase, but I do not think it is. I am pretty sure I will stick to it forever :brow: .

I share that same obsession since green belt a long time back and it only gets bigger as you go along b/c every kata gets better more weapons, full contact sparring, etc....It never stops getting better

BTW: OMG wait until you learn tekki shodan and kanku dai....But 8 months you got a while to go before these

After I got my yellow belt I was so happy because I could start to spar, and it is amazing. I cannot wait till I start learning weapons as well (it will be a while though). I have seen some people do kanku dai and it is so sweet, I cannot wait to learn it, but for now I will stick with Heian Shodan/Nidan lol. There was a kind of demo I saw and one of the students did kanku dai while saying all the 20 precepts of Mr. Funakoshi, it was really something.

"put your every day living into karatedo and find the ideal state of existance"- iska master camp 2005 theme

the way that i find it, karate is compatible to just about everything because of the benefits reaped from practicing it. its fine to be obsessed, as long as it doesnt alter other aspects of your life for the worse, or you start a cult over it (chung moo).

I would have to definitely agree with you, because you can put MA in everything. You can incorporate it in everything. I think I like it alot because it is mentally and physically challenging, and you grow as a person, learn to be humble, respect others and always do your best. There is also so much history you can read about and learn from and I think the biggest thing is that you can never perfect a kata, but you always want ot try. For example, after you think you have a good front stance, like you have just fixed all the major points that have been suggested to you, you then find a million other things wrong with your stance. I really like the strive for perfection.

July is my eighth month, and I am just as obsessed. I love nothing more than getting together with the friends that joined MA with me and practising in the back yard. It's wonderful. Hopefully we both keep up our interest and momentum!

Everyone at the dojo is so nice and helpful. It is such a positive environment where you can forget that you have a huge project due the next day, or you are in trouble at home, and just concentrate on MA. Good luck with the future of your MA.

Thanks for everyone else’s post, and I agree with everything/most of the things you are saying.