• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Insight on Double Promotion

I think it would be more beneficial to the persons character to hit every rank. Even if it's a really skilled martial artist in a lower ranking belt I think that making them put in the time for each rank isn't necessarily a skill-builder, but that of their persona.

Thoughts? :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if it's a really skilled martial artist in a lower ranking belt I think that making them put in the time for each rank isn't necessarily a skill builder . . .

I teach social studies, and certain students are simply honors students. They can't be given what the regular class is given; they need to have their minds "filled"; the challenge must be there for them. The World Languages and Math departments give a test to determine where certain advanced students just have to be placed to do them justice.

In the martial arts, some recognition of the advanced standing of the student (as in avoiding "reinventing the wheel" for the sake of saying that all the bases were touched) must be taken into consideration. They can be tested and prove themselves as to where they belong, even if it be in a middle position between two belts; when they learn that "half" they didn't already know, they can demonstrate proficiency and move up to a more appropriate place, one reflecting their skills.

:idea:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

If the rank represnts a certain skill level attained then there's no problem with it, as long as the rank is in line with the individuals skill level.

Heck, most of the time we don't even formally "promote" until around a purple belt level. Till then it's pretty much "you're an orange belt", kind of ranking.

This happens at more informal schools when not many tests are held. It can also occur when you get someone in who is skilled in another, similar art and is advaning in your art.

In those cases, I really have no problem with it. If time in accounts for something, then there may be a problem with the format of this kind of promotion, but we even have an exception to this rule in our "handbook" for guys with extensinve experiance in similar systems.

Again, what's more important is that the individuals skill level is commensurate with the rank he is given.

I think it would be more beneficial to the persons character to hit every rank. Even if it's a really skilled martial artist in a lower ranking belt I think that making them put in the time for each rank isn't necessarily a skill-builder, but that of their persona.

Thoughts? :)

If you think that their character needs to be built, then sure. However, I don't know if I would look at it in such a manner. I guess for me it would depend more on their attitude towards the training and classes than anything else.

I have an interesting story that goes along with this idea of double promotions, so I'll share it now....

Prior to getting into the TKD organization that I am with now, I had attained the rank of 2nd degree black belt and certified instructor in the ATA. It was TKD, but the forms and one-steps requirements were different. When I signed up with my new org, I didn't expect to be boosted ahead. There was also another individual that took this TKD class as well, and he had prior experience, too. He wasn't quite a black belt, but he was just one or two belts away, I think, in a WTF style, that really focused on Olympic style sparring. This fella was younger and definitely more athletic than me, too.

Well, when it came time for our first testing, we both got bumped up a few ranks. I didn't ask for this, but the instructor felt that I could handle it. So, we spent the next testing cycle learning more than the usual set of one form and one-steps. This went fairly well, and I got to skip again after the next testing. After that, I mentioned that learning the extra forms was getting a little taxing, so I didn't skip anymore after that. The other fella only skipped the one time, if I remember right.

Now, the other guy really liked to compete, so he did. However, I chose not to compete while I was a colored belt in this new org. I didn't really think it would be very cool of me as a colored belt with black belt experience sparring other guys that had only been in for a half year or so, whereas I had perhaps 5 years worth of experience. But the other guy wanted to compete, and he did. I never chided him for it, but just made my own choice not too (not that some of the colored belts probably could have beaten me, anyways :P ).

So, I think that this is something else to consider as well when making the decision to hold rank from a student with prior experience in a similar style. I know not every style is based on competition, but it is another matter to consider in the case, I think.

isee nothing wrong with it, i have been double tested twice from 6th to 4th and from 3rd to 1st. i am the senior student of my teacher and have proven that i can teach and prove my skills as a black belt. when i wear a plain black belt other instructors thibk i am a nidan or sandan when im a shodan. so i dont believe that it messes up anything that your learning, unlike school you are constantly exposed to the materiel you will learn at later ranks. in my opinion its the instructors decision to test whoever they want to whatever rank they want, we as on lookers opinions dont matter and shouldnt.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• 2 months later...

Double promotions. Do you like the dbl cheeseburger better than the single? Does it fill you up more?. yes it does.

Even if you double test, you still need to know what to do. And your instructor will not let you pass the belts if you dont know what you need to know.

To fear death is to limit life - Xin Sarith Azuma Phan Wuku

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are two times when this is appropriate.

1) If they are a white belt who has experience from another similar style. I helped train a 5th degree black belt in TKD in a Shorin-Ryu class. To no surprise, he learned how to punch faster than the other white belts... So when we tested him for his 9th Kyu, he had all of the requirements for his 8th Kyu learned because he learned more kata when the rest were learning to punch and kick.

2) We had a student train, train, train, and miss his test. He came back, trained, trained, trained, missed his test. Well by the third time he had learned everything for the next belt AND the belt after that. For a 7th Kyu to 5th Kyu...not a big deal.

Now, I believe that ALL 1st Kyu should hold their rank for about a year before Shodan, if nothing else, as a test of commitment.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Ok but what do you think about somone thats a 2nd kyu holds their rank for anywhere between 2-3 years, would it be ok for them to double test then?

Ok but what do you think about somone thats a 2nd kyu holds their rank for anywhere between 2-3 years, would it be ok for them to double test then?

Well I am not sure how to treat this. At our school we have Brown Belt, Brown with a White Stripe, and Brown with a Black Stripe. In the old days when it was stricter I had seen people go from 2nd Kyu to Black Belt after holding it for a long time.

I guess I would be wrong in saying all 1st Kyus should wait a year. I was looking at it from the perspective of my current dojo who, in my opinion, promotes people too fast so there is never a long wait for that 2nd Kyu to 1st Kyu promotion.

I would not object to that promotion if it was my decision, but ideally a student would learn stuff, test for a belt, learn stuff, test for a belt, get to 1st Kyu, take everything in for a year while learning to teach, and then test for Shodan.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Hmmm, i see. I agree fully with that, that they should take the time to learn to teach. But like with me, in my Kajukenpo style, I am a yellow belt but I know everything I need till I get to blue belt and thats two more belts away. And I will be able to double test when I feel like it.

But I do agree with you need to LEARN to teach first...