• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Members

ivette_green

No martial art style is totaly complete. Sosai trained in aikijustu and judo also, this days kyokushin is focusing to much just on competitional fighting . Myself i learn kickboxing and muaytai in paralel and i did some judo too back in the day's.I'm thinking to start again to train in jujitsu one day a week at least.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what everyone is saying, I think Kyokushin in it's original form was a complete style but it definitly has lost some of its overall practicality due to so much emphasis on tournaments.

I love competition fighting but am also really interested in learning the take-downs and sweeps that are part of the original teachings. I think I'd have to go to either Hawaii or Japan to learn them properly but I think it would be worth it.

My sensei does awesome take-downs but rarely teaches them...maybe I'll have to hassle him to teach me!

I do Judo as well and I think they go very well together. But I'm not a big fan of BJJ coz I think trying to force the fight to the ground goes against the basic laws of self preservation!

OSU!

"Let's Get It On!!!"

We do some grappling in our dojo once in a while , however , it's nothing compared to judo or JJ grappling .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I don't train in Kyokushin, but I've been wanting to for a long time. Can anybody from Toronto tell me where the Kyokushin dojos are? I've only found one so far, but I want to see what's available to me. Thanks.

That's the beauty of Judo ground work (or so my instructor likes to tell us over and over again) is that Judo is designed to get you off your back and back onto your feet where BJJ guys want to take it to the ground and stay there.

Plenty of fights go to the ground but usually only one person stays there...the one that gets knocked out! I still like watching BJJ though and I wouldn't mess with any of them!

We do a far bit of ju jitsu with our judo coz it's a very traditional dojo, we learn combat judo not just sport.

"Let's Get It On!!!"

Also i was wondering how much self defence training you guys do at your Kyokushin dojos?

We only do it when grading is coming up, otherwise it's all tournament fighting, but I really want to learn the take-downs, sweeps and joint locks!!

"Let's Get It On!!!"

Well , i have to say that if you know how to execute arm bars or any other bar or strangulation , you dont want to leave the ground , you want to make him to give up or hold him and punch his face until you know that he wont fight you anymore. I'm not comfortable on the ground , so i prefer to fight on my feets.

We do self defense training twice per month or so , the rest is tournament fighting . I , myself , prefer to stay on my feats while throwing the opponent to the ground , and i like to apply chokeholds

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike