• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High kicks

NoFear1725681471

yes, that and think if teh person is coming towards you at speed on the horse, you might knock them off but u might also break you leg.....

either way, high kicks are something taht can be worth training it - they are not appropriate for general SD - but sometimes a situation may arise where tehy are useful

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kick looks really impressive but sadly is very easy to block especially as it's so noticable that you are going to do it. Moves that don't 'telegraph' are usually a much safer bet.

The past got us here and leaving it alone was the only way I could be sure we'd never have to live through this nightmare again.

Noob here, and would it be too controversial to suggest that high kicks are effective, its just few people will put the effort into learning how to use them properly and develop the necessary speed?

In regards to Tae Kwon Do practitioners, I'd say most (not all!) lose a lot of incentive to develop fast kicks as most of their sparring is kick vs kick, as opposed to developing a kick to be used against a punch.

No offence intended, though i probably reek of ignorance....

It's not what style you train, it's how hard you train - My Sensei

I completely agree with you, clueless (hehe, sorry, that made me laugh). If you're willing to put in the time, anything is effective - for example, I'd sooner splinter my fingers with a swordhand, but some people in Japan train until they can splinter boards. The same with high kicks - I've trained until I can kick about seven feet high from standing, and maintain my balance, etc., and I know when to throw them.

I appreciate and respect your humble approach, clueless...but don't be afraid to speak your mind!

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

time to step in. jump kicks are great! I am very tired of seeing hey this does not work this is crap focus on real moves. sick of it, truly sick. jump kicks are amazing..and when used PROPERLY extremely effective. I think most people dismiss them as mere pretty moves because they don't incorporate them into sparring at the right times. Of course you dont lead with a jump kick! no! for examle, say someone you are sparring is very linear and has been leading with a series of kicks uve been avoiding by blocking and shifting back. a round kick is coming, you block it while at the same time turning into the ready stance for a jump back kick/jump into out/jump spinning kick. if they are dumb enough to follow with any movement a turning jump kick is a great counter. if you are using jump kicks they are great as the 3rd or 4th movement in a combination. also, be able to deliver a full jumpkick from a standing position. ie you are in sparring stance and can go vertical and give a jump roundhouse with the back leg. if you need a running start, it really probably isnt your best bet. if you need to run to do it, either practice or jus run like hell :D

2nd Dan Soo Bahk Do. Dan Bon - 36884

as the discussion has already mentioned many time s - high kicks can be useful, just dont try and apply them to every situations.

also - it may work in sparring within the rules - but i have serious doubts about its GENERAL effectiveness for SD [jumping kicks]

Just a week a go I read in finnish newspaper that one dude kicked his opponent in the head while fighting in the streets. Ive also heard about few fights when the fight ended cause of the high kick in the face. But, you perhaps win the fight in the street, but you lose it in the court.

I honestly don't think the only reason people don't do more high kicks is because they can't be bothered. I think they are far too risky and never really work! I've had them tried on me but they are too easy to spot miles off.

The past got us here and leaving it alone was the only way I could be sure we'd never have to live through this nightmare again.

lol some TKD guy tried to pull that on me, I just kicked him while he was in the air.

LOL, I was cracking up for about 5 seconds after reading this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Caution against jumping kicks- especially tobi geri- (double jump kick) DON'T TRY THIS during sparring... I broke a guys arm in... I think 5 places... accidentally of course... He tried to do it, and I hook blocked the first kick, knocking him off balance, causing him to fall and land on his arm.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."