• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to beat someone bigger

im doing gi, and for the most part, they overpower me and take me down, ususally the mount gives me trouble, not any other i can think of. im not sure what the butterfly technique is. also, when your in mount position, im confused on how to attack. i havent gotten too many chances at it, but i guess arm bars are fun since they seem to block my chokes.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

butter fly guard is a technique were you have both legs between your opponentsyour feet are used like hooks by there knee's or thighs. Your sitting up with both arms under hook to your opponent and lock behind his back gripping each other. That is the basic postion of the butterfly guard.

As for mount working on the hip bum, elbow escape combo works good for me. I usually can put them back in guard turn over and end up in there guard. Or at least get to half guard and turn them over to work on top postion.

Helps with bigger guys who take you down brign your knee's and elbows up to help keep them from mounting you.

There is several things you can do from mount several gi chokes, bent arm bars (key lock) mount triangle, as well as arm bars.

I usually set up my subs for arms while I am in the mount by grabbing the colar or shoulder and putting my for arm in the opponents throat.

I do this because usually the opponent keeps his elbows down by his sides to block me from moving my knee's up higher to isolate his arm movement. So I add the choke for them to defend it and bring the arm up. That allows me to slide my knee up and isolate that arm because they can't bring the elbow back down because my leg hips are block it there for allowing me easier access to get an arm bar. It is also what I use to set up the trinagle choke from mount.

Hope these tip help.

I think that you are trying to beat them with strenght, you wont be able to do it unless you go to the gym 24/7 and get the same weight as they, i would recomend to try to win them with TECHNIQUE! :) it is the best way to go. My BJJ instrucotor is no more than 5'6 or 5'7 and he always beats huge guys, it's all because he has his technique so perfect that he doesnt need strenght. Is'nt it why we all do martial arts? to make things easier when fighting anyone. technique will always beat strenght.

Next time try to focus on your technique instead of trying to beat him with force. Thats my advice.

actuallly you get those guys who are freakishly strong and the can beat Jiu-Jitsu.

The guy doesn't know enough technique yet to beat the bigger guys so when your knew like that your going be stuick using stregth for awhile until he discovers diffrent techniques he can use and new strategies to beat these bigger people with more technique and less stregth.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about BJJ is that it's so efficient and effective that when big strong guys learn it, even a little, they become very powerful. Trick to beating them when you're smaller is to manuever better and have better technique, but when your time training is about even, the big guys will always have an advantage.

sweet!

I tapped out bigger guys before but they didn't know any thing. Other bigger guys new a little bit but I still felt Ihad more technique then they did. But because of the weight and size it was hard to do moves. Of course I was on the bottom and it was diffcult to do some moves.

When it comes to grappling I feel most comfortable on my back because you are using less energy and the blood flow is my flush. you don't have to really worry about getting tapped out on the bottom mount because you only let them take what you give them. When starting from the top position you want to go ahead and let them take you to the ground, but only on your terms. when they go to lock up jump up in the air and wrap your legs around his waist and yank back so you are now in the full guard. I have a book on submissions that I bought online at barnes and noble.com and this book is what you need to learn the defense to the stronger opponent. The name of the book that you should check out is no holds barred fighting by Mark Hatmaker and Doug werner. these holds doesn't matter if your big or small if you have the speed you can take anyone. thats what BJJ is all about! Leverage use some judo throws that work on the basis that the shorter you are the more you can throw bigger opponents easier. Show check it out and remember Royce Gracie He won almost all his matches from the full guard position. just cause your the one thats on the bottom doesn't mean your meant to lose. apply yourself and your skills and you will come out on top even from the bottom.........Later

grimlin