• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello. I figure I might as well introduce myself. I used to browse these forums awhile ago, under a different name. Kind of stopped lurking about the same time I discontinued my training in Genwa Kai Karate. Anyways, I'm getting back into MA with a new resolve and enough progress as a person to get past the plataeu I was on before.

Regardless, I'm interested in learning Ninjutsu/NinpoTaijutsu (whichever is the correct name now). I've been reading through the archives on the subject, and seeing this thread still beeing quasy-activish, didn't feel it would be appropriate to create a new thread dedicated to my own questions.

From what I've gathered, Togakure ryu is what you should really be looking for, endorsed by the Bujinkan, and whos instructor has trained under Masaaki Hatsumi. I've been looking at a local dojo that seems to fit those criterion, the Denver Dojo of Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu (I see somewhat differing names here and there, probably due to updated listings and most recent website updates), run by a Lary Speakman, who claims to have studied under Hatsumi for 20 years and has achived the rank of Shidoshi (6th dan).

All of the research I have done seems to indicate the school is legit, with it listed uder various Bunjinkan websites like http://www.bujinkan.org/

The school requires you to be 18 years of age (which I find perfectly reasonable), and I will be that old very soon. I will try to get a tour//sit-in session of the dojo then.

So, I suppose my question is, what should I be looking for to ensure the validity of my courses? Also, I know there are at least one or two Togakure Ryu stylists out there, so what precisley should I expect in such a dojo? I'm looking for a well rounded, effective and deep martial art, and so far it seems that Ninpo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu fills that very well.

Sorry for the long winded speech, I wanted to offer as complete a picture possible, as I'm not terribley sure I myself know what question I'm trying to ask yet.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic