• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ninjutsu seems to trandiontally focus on control of the wrist combined with breaks and strikes. It's a pretty reasonable mix of grappling and striking, they focus on throwing and evading extensively. The original idea was dispatch an opponent in the quickest way possible in the most silent and effective way possible.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninjutsu is about responding naturally to a situation, thus using whatever means necessary to win a situation.

So yes, wrist locks are part of it. So are various other hand strikes, leg sweeps, jumping kicks, weapon usage, and so on.

Ninjutsu is in many ways, the samurai legacy.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

ninjitsu or ninpo is the way of the ninja

stephen k. hayes went over to japan and did an entire study of it and written many books on it.

it is basically a jujitsu system knife defense gun defense ext.

back in the day they actually used to sneak around , but obviously not anymore

the system known today as ninjitsu isn't a whole lot reminicent of the old style

whos gonna learn throwing stars when you can just pull out a gun.

That's been toted as a hoax.

Ninjutsu, or Budo Taijutsu, as it is called nowadays, is useful, and applicable in many combat situations.

For many years the art that we study was known around the world as Ninjutsu. This is a limited term, however, considering that the Bujinkan consists of nine ryu and only three are Ninjutsu ryu. The Bujinkan was long known for Togakure Ryu Ninpo, but in truth the majority of the techniques that were being studied were from other schools. Keeping this in mind, let's delve into a very condensed and simplified overview of Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu.

Ninjutsu was developed in the Iga and Koga regions of Japan. It is believed that the art is a result of the training methods of the Shugenja and Yamabushi mountain ascetics.

Contrary to the common, well known stereotype, most ninjutsu schools were not comprised of assassins. Many students or practitioners were even of samurai status, or had at one time held such office.

Basically if its not from Togakure , then it's more than likely not the authentic, and realistic, timeless, and applicable art of Budu Taijutsu.

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

I second that opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

I trained with two bujinkan schools, I didn't like either. And don't get me started on Hayes. Here is a few facts for you to consider, 1) There are three types of ninjitsu, 2) the last ninja active in Japan was in WWII & wasn't from the X-kan ppl, 3) hatsumi hasn't proved his ninjitsu schools as koryu or athentic by the Japanese governemnt or independant agencies.

1) There are three forms that ninjitsu comes in a) bujitsu ryu (war arts school) where "ninja techniques" where apart of samurai study. Basicly using terrorist to fight terrorist. If you want a more modern idea of what I'm saying. b) A yomabushi ryu (mountain warrior-monks school) which evolved in a vacume of philosophy study & zen influence. c) a system of stealth & theatrics that were developed by Japanese carnies. so what kinda ninja you wonna be? lol

2) The last ninja active in Japan was Seiko Fujita the last reconised master of the Koga Ryu. He lead 2,000 japanese soldiers into Burma in a guerrilla operation that lasted 4 years. He also stole scrolls from the Shaolin temple, Korean schools & temples, Indonesia etc. He cross trained his jujitsu form (he never called it taijitsu) in Dim Mak, Karate, Kung Fu, Jujitsu, aikido, Shorin ryu & had the privilage of training with a great many other grandmasters.

He & his top students died in a car crash in 1968 (?) & he left no successer. However, his top pupil went on to form his own karate style from his teachings. Though there is no mention where or not ninjitsu was part of that study.

3) The ninja schools & allot of the ancient history of the bujinkan or any other x-kan can't be proven. This is because of Takamatsu had copied thsoe maki down & was in Cina when a bomb destoried the origionals. Since infact this keeps thsose records from being legitamate proof of the ninja lineage of the bujinkan, there is infact no reconised traditional style of ninjitsu. Hatsumi sees his Ninjutsu/ninpo taijitsu/budo taijitsu as a modern (living) art he really doesn't care.

Another doubt abot Hatsumi's lineage is the "long fist" style of striking that is taught at basic levels. An interesting thing is that in japan there is some doubt about Hatsumi's lineage in america we just took it as he's Japanese well he must be right.

An interesting factoid for you, would be that most "ninjitsu schools" either didn't leave records, left false records or changed the schools name with the person teaching it. Thats makes ninjitsu, all ninjitsu untracable. if you like it or it works for you go for it...

----Now input from a non-x-kan Ryu---------

The style I learned was a family style & the name has changed several times admittedly over the last few decades. Is it authentic? It works, I don't care about lineage that much. So to me yes, we don't pass down scrolls or any of that none sense. I was told my training was a gift & it was up to me to learn & grow & add to what I had learned.

Oh yes as far a Frank Dux goes, I know little about the man except he lied about the kumite & the Cia stuff. I've never met him so I'll reserve judgement there. I think Bussey did some nice "modernizing" but I know little of him as well. I read a couple of Hayes books, some where assume & one kinda turned me off cause he was talking trash about other MAs which I didn't like to much.

I've been around two Bujinkan schools & what I learned when thier was pretty good in theory but we never tested it in sparring & I had one instructor tell me how Karate was weak & he was too dangerous to spar. I got bored & left. But, I've aso spoken with a few good x-kan instructors to. So I guess it's all in what kind of person your training with.

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!