• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So... I went to a friend's TKD lesson today

I participated, and it was very cool. The sensei let me get on the mat despite having goju ryu patch and belt. I liked kicking above the waist. that was fun. Im not sure I'll go again though, and wont have much time next semester, so why bother taking this only for a month or 2?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Im not sure I'll go again though, and wont have much time next semester, so why bother taking this only for a month or 2?

It's good to get exposure to other methods and techniques, even if it's only for a month or two. If you enjoyed the class and the Instructor, and if you have the time and resources, I would encourage you to attend and learn as much as you can.

I agree with scottnshelly exposure to another system can only help you improve.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I dissagree i wouldnt. IN your style they do not kick above they waist. If thats the style you train in I wouldnt want to mix 2 different pholosiphys together.

Don't block with your face.

--Soo Bahk

I dissagree i wouldnt. IN your style they do not kick above they waist. If thats the style you train in I wouldnt want to mix 2 different pholosiphys together.

Why not ??? maybee he went there cause thats what his style lacks , maybe he wants to create his own pholosiphy

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I think that a couple of month's training won't do you any harm. You'll enjoy it and get to learn about another system at the same time. Go for it! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

actually taking two is a great idea, it will broaden your spectrum for style and i agree with scottnshelly as well, you can only improve. i'm at TKD any where from 3 to 6 days a week and beleive me if taken seriously like most martial arts. TKD is great, especially if your instructor like to teach traditional.

nomatter what it be..will power and heart produces great things

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

actually taking two is a great idea, it will broaden your spectrum for style and i agree with scottnshelly as well, you can only improve. i'm at TKD any where from 3 to 6 days a week and beleive me if taken seriously like most martial arts. TKD is great, especially if your instructor like to teach traditional.

It depends on where he is in his first style. I don't really recommend cross training in two arts that are dissimilar until you have achieved a fairly decent level of proficiency in your first art. Otherwise, you can confuse what you are trying to drill into your muscles and pattern recognition.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

You never know, he might need to kick above the waist someday. Cross training is the best way to become versatile and fluid with sparring, no system has an answer to every situation, and not every situation requires one response. As long as you have a strong foundation in your base style, cross training is very very important.

FYI brawler, many of the US SBD Federation members and Dans crosstrain. Some schools offer groundfighting or even weapons training that masters have cross trained in. I myself took up Wing Chun for a couple years and a little smattering of BJJ.