• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tallness and rules

Menjo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm around 6 foot, and i don't know if someone has already said this, but smaller people can have a big advantage sometimes. Think about it, if they're tall, they probably have long limbs, also. If you can work yourself onto the right or left side of a taller oppenent and then get INSIDE their range, just nail them with elbows and knees. It's hard for tall people to defend themselves if you are close to them.

I'm pretty tall casue i'm 14 years old and 6 foot, but theres nothing wrong with being short. There are plenty of advantages to it.

My advice to you is, get smaller. If you lower you stances so your really small they just have a realy small target and you can do whatever you want (or at least easierly).

Focus

actually im tall for my age, but i compete with alot of adults. ive always had a problem with getting my stances because of that,

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 weeks later...

Had a tournament a week ago, i worked some of the advice here. Thanks for the advice. It was a success, also alot of the taller competetors tended to have bad posture, so that was a nice advantage.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I've been working on in sparring classes lately is an axe kick from behind into the face. I'll see if I can explain it.

1) Done as a counter to a reverse kick, slide away from the kick so that you end up standing close behind them

2) As I slide, I try to put a ridgehand into their chest. Not really trying to score with this, it's more a means to temporarily keep them close and their lead arm down/wrapped.

3) The leg that is in the direction I moved (So if I moved to the left, the left leg), I bring either under their left arm (Since we are facing the same way) or just alongside it, straight up in a stretch type straight leg kick. With decent flexibility, this should come up and whack them in the face.

4) If #3 doesn't work, I do a jump hook or jump round kick to the side of the head. Often they duck from #3, and it makes it easy to smack them again.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Had a tournament a week ago, i worked some of the advice here. Thanks for the advice. It was a success, also alot of the taller competetors tended to have bad posture, so that was a nice advantage.

Yeah, oddly enough, I find that taller competitors tend to slouch, a lot of times it is subconscious because they slouch in regular life. Very few of the really tall people I meet actually stand up straight.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player