• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tallness and rules

Menjo

I need help with some sparing...There are plenty of very tall people who in my area take Shotokan and I loose to because they are taller. The worst thing is, is alot of these people have terrible stance, technique...ect.

Whenever I compete agaisnt this I feel like exploding and just forgeting the rules and running to get a shot in...any tips to get in on someone alot taller in kumite anyone?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I need help with some sparing...There are plenty of very tall people who in my area take Shotokan and I loose to because they are taller. The worst thing is, is alot of these people have terrible stance, technique...ect.

Whenever I compete agaisnt this I feel like exploding and just forgeting the rules and running to get a shot in...any tips to get in on someone alot taller in kumite anyone?

One of my favorite ways is the "V in V out". It's a little hard to describe, but here goes. As soon as he raises a leg, you diagonally step forward away from the kick. As soon as you touch on the sidestep, come right back in with a side kick or other appropriate technique depending on distance.

Also, if you have the speed, I really like reverse kicks. I have fairly good speed and upward flexibility in the back, so I can get my head down and out of the way and bring a reverse kick up into their chest.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

There are tons of threads very similar to this one.

All I'll say for here is that you should try to keep your cool, do whatever Aodhan suggested, and move fast.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

PS. :P Ha ha! Sorry, I've just always wanted to do that whenever I answer these things. I'm 6' 6"...and I have good technique! :D :P :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

When sparring a taller opponent, try to read when he is going to attack. Often times it is easier to do with a taller person because of the length of their limbs. If you can read these attacks early on, it will give you time to either prepare to block and counter, perform the V as Aodhan described, or just get out of the way and wait for a better opening. Another strategy I occasionally is "jamming". Try to stay in fairly close to your opponent so that you can attack freely, but where he has trouble striking you because of the short range. Hope this helps.

:)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

Another strategy I occasionally is "jamming". Try to stay in fairly close to your opponent so that you can attack freely, but where he has trouble striking you because of the short range. Hope this helps.

McNerny gives you some good advice. As a taller guy, there's nothing more annoying then some one who fights me to close. My Sensei does this to me all the time. I can usually stand out where the short people have no chance of landing a strike without diving in, which works to my advantage. My sensei fights me up close, covering up and jamming all my punches, kicks, and knees. I back up and sensei sticks right with me. Makes me nervous because I’m not used to being that far into someone’s striking range, especially when that person limits my blocking ability....

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• 2 weeks later...

yea i used the same strategy for a very tall guy in my class, he got really mad but was never able to get even one technique in

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 1 month later...

Yeah just get close to them and get a lot of body shots as fast as you can without making it look like your flailing around

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I have the fortune of being a taller competitor (not that tall but I am 6 foot 1), and one of the things I find a smaller opponent has on me is sneakiness.

I was sparring one guy about 6 years ago, and he was about 5 foot 3...and the minute I raised my leg for an axe kick (and I am decently fast with my kicks), he was in with spinning hook and spinning back kicks...and he was difficult to spar against because he was fast. There are ways to beat bigger opponents...just train hard and make sure you are better than everyone else...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."