• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would You do?

Pogo

The problems with exercises like this is that they still have a large amount of limitations when compared to a real attack. You are still not capable of responding how you would like to respond in a real situation, for fear of harming your training partner.

Agreed, though it does illustrate the difficulty in defending against a knife. It goes both ways. You aren't responding to the attack in the way you would like in order not to hurt your training partner, however your training partner is not waving a 9 inch Kershaw at you trying to lop off your precious bits and pieces. Surprising what you can lop off with a Kaybar or proper wieghted fighting knife.

...or are you talking about balancing a tack hammer on your head?

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problems with exercises like this is that they still have a large amount of limitations when compared to a real attack. You are still not capable of responding how you would like to respond in a real situation, for fear of harming your training partner.

Agreed, though it does illustrate the difficulty in defending against a knife. It goes both ways. You aren't responding to the attack in the way you would like in order not to hurt your training partner, however your training partner is not waving a 9 inch Kershaw at you trying to lop off your precious bits and pieces. Surprising what you can lop off with a Kaybar or proper wieghted fighting knife.

...or are you talking about balancing a tack hammer on your head?

No, I am just saying that taking something as a given based on a simulated training exercise will lead to misconceptions, due to the limitations of any training where the health of yourself and the partner needs to be taken into consideration.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

So White Warlock, if a female was attacking you with a baseball bat, would you break her kneecap?

Very likely not, since the use of a weapon of such magnitude likely indicates the person is not altogether skilled. Also, the immediate threat is from on-high, not down-low, so going for the knees while someone is swinging down on you is asking for a world of pain. When a weapon such as that is being utilized, you need both feet firmly on the ground for manuevering.

There's a second part, which i'm addressing below.

Anyway, maybe a spell in prison is infinitely preferable to an eternity 6' underground.

My point was, the 'severity' of the assault has not been presented, therefore the severity of response should not default to extremes.

No but neither should it be instantly discredited 8)

Breaking someone's kneecap is a 'permanent' injury. In actuality, the kneecap likely will not break, but you could dislocate their knee, or break the joint. However, the likelihood of success is not as high as many people think, so "planning" to take out their knee is an all or nothing venture.

Also, the call presented was to 'plan' to take out the kneecap, which is never a good idea. In whatever situation you are in, the circumstances of the conflict dictate the actions required to resolve the issue, not the other way around.

And finally, no... it should not be 'instantly' discredited, nor did i do such. I merely mentioned it has a very high probability of consequence. Specifically, incarceration. Defending yourself against a threat is acceptable under the law, but use of excessive force is not. I would say that in the majority of cases, a breaking of someone's kneecap, which incurs permananent partial disability, would be considered 'excessive' by most courts. Granted, we have to examine the circumstances, the specifics... but... if we were to take the 'dry' evidence, which is that of a male breaking a female's kneecap, i would say the circumstances are already weighed against the male.

Consequence is a major issue here, and it is something that is oftentimes disregarded.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

To me it does not matter. If he/she poses enough of a threat I will react in kind. I would try to apply the same amount of force that the attacker I think is trying to attack me with.

So if she comes at me with a knife or bat, she is goin get a hurt'n. If she is trying to slap me around and claw at my face, I might give her a hard slap back and sweep her or push her to the ground.

All this is assuming I tried to get away from the situation or there was no way out before hand.

The idea of never hitting a woman is old and sexist. You should not be hitting anyone unless you have to. Does not matter if they wiener or apple pie.

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

No, I am just saying that taking something as a given based on a simulated training exercise will lead to misconceptions, due to the limitations of any training where the health of yourself and the partner needs to be taken into consideration.

That's why I go out and get into knife fights every Thursday. Usually with a steak.

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

Guys what would you do if a woman attacked you in the street.

would you fight back or would you just block and avoid fighting.

If the fight situation is simply a quarrel or misunderstanding of sorts, I would fight defensively, posibbly employing strong blocks and evasion strategies, at the same time admonishing the woman-aggressor to stop attacking. If this doesn't stop her from attacking, I would grapple and try to hold her while trying to pacify. Yet, if this doesn't do the trick, a strong slap on the face or a heel strike on the nose might work and then escalate progressively the lethality of my counters proportionate to the difficulty of controlling her aggression. As a matter of fight principle with a woman in my culture, men don't fight women. If they do, they have to fight to control and not to hurt or kill.

I would not normally expect a hold-upper with a gun or knife to be a woman, unless she is with a criminal group. If this is so, then I will treat her as any other male attacker. If it is a hold-up, let her get my possession. If my life or those of my loved ones is the objective, my (our) first option is to escape (always with my loved ones, of course), but as last resort I will fight to the death if I or we are cornered.

Gene

*sigh*..I've been waiting a long time for a woman to attack me :o ...so far, no luck! :cry:

Ahahahaha, That was really funny. Your always saying all these funny things but you still hav egreat advice, your posts are great..

Focus

Nothing works better in a situation where you do NOT want to hit someone that using Non-Sequitur responses. If a woman tries to his you, tell her you love her, or say, with tears in your eyes:

"Don't you remember me?! I'M YOUR SON!!!!"

OR:

"MOMMY PLEASE STOP, I LOVE YOU!!"

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.