• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

aikido a grappling art?

MMASanDiego said-All I can say is, visit your local BJJ studio. Talk to the instructor, and ask if you can test your takedown ability against, say a blue belt ( a guy with 1-2 years experience).

I agree with you, I know this is kinda nit picking, but a blue belt in two years?

:-?

Is that uncommon? One guy I looked at working out with had his blue belt after only a year.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the most part I would say yeah it is uncommon IMHO, at my school it takes a while. You don't just need to know subs and sweeps, the key is transition, flow, tight tech. Positioning is key, how well do you transition from position to position. But it depends also on the person, they may excel fast. An example a friend of mine who was at my school for a long time got his blue belt, then he moved to Texas and started at Carlos Machados school and was bumped down to white again. Now that may be because Carlos wanted to do that to see where he was but it is up to the instructor to some respects.

Josh Koscheck the human blanket

I know other BJJ schools were the students have gotten blue belts in 6months. It all depends on instructors promotion standards and the skill level of the students.

Pankration club? Is that the one run by Jeff Funichello? I think thats his last name I been out of AZ mma loop for awhile.

what city you at goju_boi and what was teh name of the school or head instructor. That is wierd. I know some places that don't promte but 5-7 years as a white belt is insane. It takes 8 to 10 years to get a black belt in BJJ so that is very odd.

I hope thats not the case. that would suck for other white belts if he competes lol! talk about sand bagging!

• 4 weeks later...

aikido is more a system that reverses an encounter:

if you are grabbed, you learn how to reverse it and take the opponent to the ground in some sort of a lock. if you are punched, the same.

the majority of aikido techniques end, or CAN end with the attacker in an arm lock on the ground. you will never go to the ground yourself, as the point is to stay completely in controle, and when both people are on the ground its more of a volatile situation!