• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

aikido a grappling art?

cuz the way you word it comes off he can get any sub, he has to work for a sub meaning the white belt with 1 year experience can defend a few of his subs.

way you wrote is the blue belt can put a clinic on the 1 year white belt and get any sub he wants. Maybe but I bet white belt defends alot or at least soem of the subs.

depends how the practice. Its about resistance training. All they got to do is bring in a good bjj/grappler and they work on sprawling, take down defense, sub defense and getting back to tehre feet to play striking game. There is quite a few schools who do that. Even though wandereli silva from chute box Pride's number one guy write now. Thats his game, he has a great striking and great take down defense, granted he studies bjj also.

Now I understand if you casually pratice take down defense and sub defense half heartedly just going through the motions with really no resitance. Then yeah it won't pull them off with some one who is experienced at grappling through resitance.

Yeah Silva doesn't "just" study BJJ also. He is a blackbelt:http://bjj.org/a/people/silva-wanderlei.html

Some people in some of the other threads try to make it sound like because Silva and Liddell beat most of their opponents with strikes that they are only strikers but as you know Silva is a BJJ blackbelt and Liddell is a Division 1 wrestler. Yeah you are absolutely right, just because you learned a few takedown defenses doesn't mean you can nullify someone's grappling.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who's your instructor in arizona?

I know Silva, and chuck's back ground, but they aren't grapplers. Because there primary fighting style is striking, as why they use the take down defense and go to stirking.

Either point its how you train the take down defense/ and sub defense.

but I feel he has the "BJJ is the best and only real MA" attitude. Maybe I'm wrong.

I respectfully disagree. Deadalus is posting what I consider to be the obvious truth after taking years of various martial arts my entire life.

I think its unfair to label him as some kind of BJJ cult member for basically stating the truth. Ive taken TKD, karate, Kung-fu, judo, some aikido and BJJ. Im taking BJJ now.

I guess its just kind of hard to explain in words. You really need to experience it. You could practive takedown defense all day long and think you have it mastered in kata form, but when put up against a real opponent your whole game falls apart.

These grapplers go for takedowns and defend takedowns in 100% effort sparring in every class. Yet they lose the takedown defense about 50% of the time. To think you will be able to defend a takedown against one of these guys who have thousands of hours of experience more than you in takedowns is simply ignorant bliss. In a sense you are a takedown defense white belt and they are takedown black belts. You chances are slim at best.

All I can say is, visit your local BJJ studio. Talk to the instructor, and ask if you can test your takedown ability against, say a blue belt ( a guy with 1-2 years experience). I guarantee you will be in for a rude awakening. Being close minded in the MA world is really a bad idea. You dont want to carry around any delusions like this.

I really don't see how you refuted my point. You basically just reaffirmed that this thread will turn into a "BJJ is better than all other MA because they defend against takedowns all of the time and you can't stop them" thead.

actually it has turned into that sort of disccussion. To answer the question is Aikido grappling art? Yes since most if not all of its primary defense and attacks are of using some sort of grabbing/locking techniques.

who's your instructor in arizona?

I know Silva, and chuck's back ground, but they aren't grapplers. Because there primary fighting style is striking, as why they use the take down defense and go to stirking.

Either point its how you train the take down defense/ and sub defense.

Wellington "Megaton" Dias, but we usually call him Meg.

Yeah I know Liddell and Silva aren't "grapplers". They are Mixed Martial Artists! That means they are great strikers and grapplers. But both of them have WAY more grappling experience then I do and I consider myself more of a grappler because that is how I end my fights.

Deus Ex Remake

I am currenly in the military. I will be back in Arizona around end of october. Lets Roll some time.

You heard of Jason Chambers? He is an Eddie Bravo Bavo brown belts. His No-Gi game is sick! He's in AZ also.

I am currenly in the military. I will be back in Arizona around end of october. Lets Roll some time.

You heard of Jason Chambers? He is an Eddie Bravo Bavo brown belts. His No-Gi game is sick! He's in AZ also.

Sure man I'm always looking for new friends who share my passion for Martial Arts! Anyway I'm not sure where Jason trains but you can come and roll at Megatons for a week without paying so you should come check it out. Anyway I'll be started at ASU by then and will probably be doing some of my training with the Pankration Club.

Deus Ex Remake

MMASanDiego said-All I can say is, visit your local BJJ studio. Talk to the instructor, and ask if you can test your takedown ability against, say a blue belt ( a guy with 1-2 years experience).

I agree with you, I know this is kinda nit picking, but a blue belt in two years?

:-?

Josh Koscheck the human blanket