• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

aikido a grappling art?

In traditional aikido, fully two-thirds to three-fourths of all techniques were designed to be applied while in the seiza position. This was primarily due to the seiza position being the most vulnerable position of historical Japan, in which warrior-nobles would meet thier guests from that position.

http://www.bushinokeiko.net/images/dojo/ueshiba%20seiza.gif

Below are shown two defense examples:

Kisshomaru_Ueshiba

Kisshomaru_Ueshiba

Although aikido doesn't traditionally have 'a lot' of ground techniques, many schools have adopted studying judo techniques along with the aikido. This has partly to do with their systems being spiritually interrelated (Kano respected Ueshiba tremendously, and Ueshiba showed respect in turn, for they both followed a 'non-lethal' approach to the arts, and also because they were both... anti-war. Long story there...), and partly due to them being compatible in more than merely ideology.

Indeed, my original aikido instructor held a 6th dan in aikido and a 5th dan in judo and my original judo instructor held a 5th dan in judo and a 2nd dan in aikido.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there are guard sweeps, mount/backmount, etc escapes and reversals in Aikido?

I don't know what a 'guard sweep' is so I can't answer that with any certainty.

Yes, there are reversals, I mentioned them in an earlier post in this thread.

As another poster mentioned, many of the techniques could be applied easily, and perhaps effectively, from either the mount or guard as body and hand position are similar to while standing.

I would have to say the some might be more difficult to apply due to the space, or lack thereof, between nage and uke.

And there are plenty of techniques for rear attack, I guess they would be considered escapes with finishing locks or throws. 1/3 of the 2nd dan test is comprised of rear attacks. E.g., chokes, 'bear hugs', 'full-nelson', etc.

For the most part the weopons in Aikido are there for nage to learn how to recieve them, but uke has to learn how to use them correctly for the exercise to be worthwhile. However, while you can't really use a sword defensively nowadays, I have seen the same techniques adapted for police to use with a gun instead of a sword. Aiki jo is VERY adept at being used offensively or defensively since it incorporates a lot of the blending philosophy of the unarmed combat. In fact, lots of techniques are identical with or without weapons, which really drives home the idea that weapons should be an extension what we normaly do.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!