aikido a grappling art?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of styles had techniques that kept them from going down..or ...seperate themselves from the attacker to regain their feet.

not based on what 95% of traditional martial artist in various Mixed martial arts events...

Realize that those techniques only get practiced a certain portion of the time, and that they are made to defuse a takedown attempt by Bubba Joe Bailey, not Royce Gracie. We once had a "street fighter" come in and try to take down an old teacher of mine, and ended up swinging on him like a jungle gym while we tried not to laugh.

I agree that there art martial arts and martial art techniques that work well against the avg person but no so much against a trained fighter.

• 3 weeks later...

At our dojo we are taught escapes or roll-outs from locks or pins but there are really no techniques like the guard or mount.

Along with that, how to position yourself to prevent a roll out or escape.

When we practice we are told to roll out or escape if possible which adds a bit of realism to practice, rather than just laying on the ground like a fish while your partner applies a shoulder lock.

I imagine some of the techniques could be adapted for the ground.

I guess there are a couple of reasons that there aren't specific ground techniques.

Aikido is primarily defensive, but goes one step further for lack of a better term - 'preemptive defense of impending attack'.

Your opponent attacks and he is stopped in mid-attack.

Imagine a country fires a missile at your country. The goal is to shoot down the enemy's missile before it hits the ground, not wait 'till it hits, does damage, and then counter attack by firing your missiles.

In judo, it's common to lock up and grab each others lapel and then start looking for a opening for a throw.

In aikido, as your opponent goes for your lapel, you step slightly out of range and take his wrist before he gets a hold of you, then apply a technique.

It's believed that someone getting a hold of you is not a good thing, especially if they're bigger and stronger than you are.

So you should avoid getting grabbed and control the attacker before it's 'too late'.

So you should avoid getting grabbed and control the attacker before it's 'too late'

But the reality is you may get grabbed and thrown down to the ground by a larger person before you ever know a fight is on...especially if were talking about attacks and self defense situations.

Tenchinage can be applied wether you are standing or on your back with someone sitting on you. A kotegaeshi is a kotegaeshi is a kotagaeshi....

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

So you should avoid getting grabbed and control the attacker before it's 'too late'

But the reality is you may get grabbed and thrown down to the ground by a larger person before you ever know a fight is on...especially if were talking about attacks and self defense situations.

Yes you should avoid getting grabbed but if it does arise a good Aikidoka should be able to handle themselves.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

Yes you should avoid getting grabbed but if it does arise a good Aikidoka should be able to handle themselves.

So there are gaurd sweeps, mount/backmout, etc escpapes and reversals in Aikido?