• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bujinkan Budo??

viskous

I was lookin into a dojo i found on the internet in my area and since ive been looking to get back into martial arts i sent the intructor an email asking for class schedules prices and a class summary..........but i still really have no idea what Bujinkan Budo is all about.........could anybody tell me?.........thankyou

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's what was called "Ninjutsu" in the 80's. In essence it's a form of Jujutsu, pretty decent at keeping the strike/standup grappling ratio nice and mixed, which seems to have at least some roots in a historical group of infamous sorts - of course, where it came from doesn't actualy have much bearing on what it is now.

Reasonably effective, though it has gotten some criticism because some of their training methodology is less than realistic for reasonable reasons. Judo was created by removing techniques which could break their training partner too easily like joint techniques and such - budo taijutsu tends to revel in that type of technique, but they pay the price in ability to train those techniques.

They have gotten some flak for a couple of things which IMHO ultimately don't matter; for instance, their belt scale goes up to 15th black rather than 10th. It would appear that the reason is that in most arts that use the modern system of belts, 1-5 black has deliverables, and 6-10 are lifetime achievement beyond those five. In BT, they apparently put ten black worth of deliverables, then found they needed more belts for the merit ranks. They have several quirks of the sort, and tend to take fire for all of them. They've also had some freakish stuff go on that looked bad.

All in all, they seem to be reasonably competent as a rule, they focus on self-defense and disdain sport competition. A decade or so ago they had this wierd ego-perfection thing going on, but in past years, the BT people I have heard from have stopped talking like they were choking up fortune cookies and seem to be more reasonable.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

be careful though like any other art there are bad and good teachers of it out there

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

• 1 month later...

I've explained this a couple times on different parts of the forum so I'll make this brief. We train in a stand up grappling, striking, joint locks, weapons, meditation, groundfighting, multiple opponents(higher levels), diffusing situations(yes, we practice what to say). We don't do sparring but we do free response where one person's name is called and everyone takes turns attacking them using any attack coming from any angle. At my dojo we also have a Jutaijutsu(grappling/groundfighting) for the guys that want to get physical, during those times some of us also put on gloves and shin pads and go full contact.