• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm actually grading!!! The insanity begins.....

shotochem

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry to hear that. :(

It was partly because of the way that blackbelt tests were conducted that my Sensei decided to leave the karate organisation he was with. It had aslo become very moneygrabbing - a sorry state for a once-excellent organisation.

Because of that experience, and others to do with that organisation, I now feel that my own blackbelt grading is worthless. My instructor is a great man and a fantastic teacher, but those who graded me for my Shodan have shown themselves to be shallow and materialistic and not really interested in true martial ways or the spirit of Budo.

Although my situation isn't very similar to yours, I do understand a little of what you're going through. PM me if you wanna chat and we can have a good old moan about cruddy MA organisations together... :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks Afi,

I'm just a little bumed at the way things turned out. I feel that all that I have been striving for has been cheapened. I went back and took one class a few days after the grading. It did not feel the same it felt empty.

The pleasure I have while training was not there. I'm not sure if I want to remain with my organization even though I enjoy those I train with.

It may be time to move on and take another art and start over again. It really is not about me getting a belt. I would rather start over as a whitebelt somewhere and recapture what I truely enjoy. I had said many times in the past it is better to be a really good brownbelt than a really crappy BB. I still believe that today.

No matter what I choose (I still have not decided yet) I will always be the real deal. I want to earn it and there will be no doubt about any rank I choose to wear.

Marc

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Do you think you may continue in Shotokan (at another school) or are you leaning towards starting afresh in a totally different MA?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I would love to stick with Shotokan. However, I have become interested in many arts over the last couple of years. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.