• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm actually grading!!! The insanity begins.....

shotochem

Hi everyone,

I've been ranting and babbling on these forums for a while now. I have grown as a MA and have learned a lot from our discussions. I will finally take my BB exam in a couple of weeks.

I must be going insane. I don't feel overly nervous or excited as of yet. It actually feels kind of anti-climactic in a way. All this time and effort to get to this point and I have just realized. Are you a better MA the day after you pass your BB exam or is it just another thing to wear around your waist while you jump around in funny white pajamas.

I never really thought I was ever going to make it this far or test for that matter. For me it was always about the journey not the destination.

I just enjoy the ride. Am I just a strange guy or are any of you others feel the same?

With all this being said I plan on going out there 100% and giving it my all and having some fun. Fail or succeed I have passed already. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, you have, shotochem. In my opinion, the moment in which an instructor lets you know that you will be testing is the moment that you have your black belt in spirit. Congratulations! It's great that you enjoyed the journey, and didn't worry about the destination. That's exactly what my sensei told me, and I think it's great advice.

Good luck on your test! I'm sure everything will go well. Please let us know how things went!!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Are you a better MA the day after you pass your BB exam or is it just another thing to wear around your waist while you jump around in funny white pajamas.

/quote]

Both are true shotochem. A BB test can be a powerful experience, unlike any other belt test but...it is not the last belt test you will take along your journey-each step you take makes you a better martial artist.

There is added responsibility with wearing the belt but it is just another thing to wear with your "jammies"....an external symbol of what is already in your heart.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Both are true shotochem. A BB test can be a powerful experience, unlike any other belt test but...it is not the last belt test you will take along your journey-each step you take makes you a better martial artist.

There is added responsibility with wearing the belt but it is just another thing to wear with your "jammies"....an external symbol of what is already in your heart.

8)

That all may be true but as of now I have no other thoughts of ever testing again.(I will probably change my mind later. :wink: )) I will definately continue my training I love it too much to ever stop.

I find myself very interested in many other arts and would like to expand my MA portfolio. So many arts so little time. I will always hold Shotokan dear to me it is my first art. It is my base and my core it is who I am. Ideally I would keep up my Shotokan and add other styles of interest.

I have been on a more intense training schedule of late and the big day is next week. I will let you all know how it went.

Thankyou all for the kind words.....

Marc- AKA: Shotochem

Good luck Marc! I'm sure that you will pass with flying clours. If you have any pics of your test (and of you with your new belt!!) then it would be good to see them. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Update.

I had the pleasure of being paired up with the partner from hell. He had no control, the attacks were erratic, his technique was poor. He called one attack but made another and kicked me in the knee. He was a good foot taller and heavier than me. While attacking I owned him and he defended poorly. Result......

He passed. I failed due to exceesive contact. The testing instructor was quite nasty and yelled at the others testing. Only 2 people passes out of 20 people testing. One was a 9 yr old the other, the one I was pummelling.

Go figure???

It makes me wonder why I listened to the others and bothered to test. To me the value of the belt is diminished. I wonder if I wasted my time and efforts all these years.

I am giving serious though to changing organizations. I will not say which group I'm with as I have great respect for my instructor and consider him a friend. I do enjoy training with this group of people and we are quite a close knit group of friends. We have trained together for years. My problem is with the organization. I really don't care too much about the belt it's just that the worst 2 people there passed and there were a lot of baffled people standing around wondering why.

I do this because I enjoy training but I consider the outcome insulting to my years of training and I do not have any desire to test again as it won't mean anything to me.

This is a very sore topic for me right now and I will not comment on it again for a while.

I thank you all for your kind words.

thats a downer, :( better luck next time. I had a similar experiance however the instructors saw what was happening and I had passed. Its too bad the dojo has that kind of vision

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn