• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For all you kickers...

Yeah agreed maybe you can punch without moving shoulders, I don't know you JKDers.

I meant kicking wise, and well i've never sparred anyone who wanted to hit me without using there shoulders. I'm so good looking!!!

:grin:

Bretty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being an ITF fighter i don't like rear kicks/turning my body square on coz it give the opponent a bigger scoring zone, points fighter you see :wink:

I disagree shoulders telegraph everything :razz: you can't ...do anything without moving your shoulders first.

I'm a point fighter too, and that's the way that I use the technique that I use :smile: It's a little unorthadox, but it works for me.

My shoulders do move, only in a reaction to what my hips are doing. They don't telegraph my actions, but more of follow after the kick has been thrown.

And my spine must be made of jelly, because I don't bend over very much to counter balance my high kicks. I hope I don't end up with back problems in the future :eek:

Wise man once said "he who has big mouth has much room for foot."

My instructor always goes into a fit when I learn back while kicking. He makes a show, like "Do you walk like this?" and starts walking around with his upper body leaned backwards, ignoring the fact that you cant be perfectly straight when kicking higher because your body doesn't allow it... i mean even the friggin' T-Shirt we wear shows a person doing a side kick, and her upper body is horizontal lol.

But yeah you should try to keep your back as straight as possible, your head up especially, as it keeps your balance and you wont fall backwards when strike comes to shove.

for the best recovery after kicking you should lean upright......it also looks alot cleaner.......if you are a point fighter and you just wanna score one point and fade away i guess you can lean back but i think that kinda looks crappy

so it depends on the person and what arena you are fighting in

kickboxer - upright

point-fighter - lean back

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

• 2 weeks later...
When I first started, I couldn't kick above belt level to save my life, so I did lean back a lot. Now that I can kick head-level, I perfer not to lean back. Like it was said before, it's easier to recover and "cover-up"/block/strike. I do a lot of front leg (leading leg) kicks also. I call those "suprise kicks" cause I don't telegraph with front leg kicks (good for either self defense or sparring). I don't lean at all with those.

Laurie F