• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For all you kickers...

Lean back or upright?

So when you lot kick do you stay upright or lean back?

do you vary between Self defence and Sparring and how do you vary this between different kicks and kick heights?

Some people recommend leaning back when you kick so you can't be hit.

Other recommend leaning forward so you can punch and kick at the same time and recover quicker from your kicks.

Your opinions please?

Bretty :grin:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually IMHO you should try to lean back as little as possible and try to keep your torso as straight as you can with your hands guarded. Leaning back compromises your balance and power and leaves you vulnerable. When you lean back it also takes longer to recover from a kick so it is harder to immediately throw more techniques or commit to further actions. Also, leaning back is usually done in order to make up for lack of flexibility. If higher kicks is what you want, leaning back may just be a way of cheating yourself. You should just do more dynamic stretching so that you will not need to lean to achieve greater height. Obviously there is no way you can do many high kicks without leaning your torso back somewhat, but for the most part I wouldn't say beyond 45 degrees.

On a side note, the side kick might be a different story since it is virtually impossible to throw a super high side kick (close to vertical or vertical) without leaning your torso back significantly (over 45 degrees).

This is more of a modern TKD perspective so many other people may disagree with this. :angel:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Performing a kick with power requires using the hip. Often this causes one to lean back slightly

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I stay up to maintain good balance.

The only thing I would vary in sparring and self defense is that in sparring, with pads and lighter contact, I go for a little more flashy or risky stuff, I also experiment more. Self defense is a place made for ugly, basic kicks - front and roundhouse kicks to the knees, groin, kidneys, etc. and punches to the face and head. Other than that, I always was taught to keep my back straight...even when ducking or crouching I only move my knees. As far as the side kick, yes....even when you see demo teams do kicks a foot over their head, they must lean back - not far enough for a non-martial artist to notice...but it is essential for a high kick. I find that it isn't necassary for lower kicks.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Depends what kick... I do lot of thrusting so on a front kick i am upright and perhaps leaning a little forward. Cutting roundhouses are basically from an upright position... On the odd occasion when i do a side kick obviously i lean back...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

I'm an upright kicker, My thai boxing teacher said it was bad coz it gave him a target. but i do it so i can punch and recover quicker. I also find it a lot quicker to kick with just my leg then my whole body so i don't really 'throw' my kicks.

Bretty

Well technically you can throw a kick 'using your whole body' and still keep a fairly upright torso. Using your whole body and throwing your whole body into the kick (or at least the hips and waist, since that is where the originating power comes from in an effective kicking technique) doesn't require that you lean far back. Usually you should always rely on that torque or quick snappy circular or forward thrusting force of the hips (if not your whole body esp. emphasizing loose shoulders that also twist easily) in a kick for sufficient power. Kicks that are naturally centrifugal/circular in nature such as the hook kick or turning kick obviously need loose twisting hips (side kick also) but even the front kicks involve a slight or partial pivoting of the supporting foot in order for the hips to open up. The leg for the most part only provides as a channel for the power to be released.

Once again, only a TKD perspective. :grin:

"Being able to move in and out of styles, movements, and rhythms with ease is the highest skill." - Donnie Yen

"If you have to resort to violence, you've already lost" - Rising Sun

"The finest steel emerges from the hottest furnace" - a smart guy

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-06 03:00 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'