• Influenced by media/film
    • Interest in eastern roots
    • Parents/siblings/friends
    • Influenced by other martial art
    • Fitness & flexibility
    • Spritual
    • Fighting
    • Other (please say)

We're you influenced to join karate because you knew of it's ancient eastern roots?

Did you understand why and how it was practiced before you joined?

If not, have you become influenced by it and is this the reason why you continue?

:karate:

Edited by Monkeymagic

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined (Seiki Juku) because of several reasons.

I had done judo, shotokan, wado-ryu and touched on other martial arts before.

I wanted to do well and progress as each of the other martial arts I had not continued for reasons beyond my control.

I was influenced by film when joining the previous martial arts but this time I had more of a spritual interest and was interested in the east and wanted to learn something connected to it.

I now live in Beijing and can't find a karate club. I am frustrated but am teaching karate as part of my physical education curriculum and so keep up the practice.

I have posted severaal threads on this forum. All are there to help me with my research dissertation which I am now re-writing (I have been doing this for a year and a half - far too long)

All your comments on these threads will help me tremendously.

thanks

:)

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)

I started taking karate because I was "too old", at 15 years of age, to take the kids judo classes offered at the YMCA. The only other martial arts place in town taught Japanese Goju Ryu Karate and T'ai Chi. I started there and enjoyed it, so continued training.

The entire club switched to Okinawan Gojy Ryu after I was a Green Belt, and added JuJitsu to the classes offered. The rest, is history!

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I started doing Kyokushin karate about 2 1/2 years ago. When I was much younger, I had tried a Tae Kwon Do class and had loved it. I had always found the martial arts interesting. When I found out that there was a karate dojo opening up just a few blocks down, I became one of the first people to sign up.

I didn't have a grasp on the spiritual side of the martial arts before I joined nor did I know anything about Kyokushin's background when I started. I think I've learned a lot since then but now that I've learned that, I realize that I still have so much to learn, lol.

Warai Wa Satori = Laughter is Enlightenment

Ikari Wa Muchi = Anger is Ignorance

Naku Wa Shugyo = To Cry is to Train

Sosai Mas Oyama

my father is one who turned my on to the martial arts. having studied judo all the way to his brown belt before he joined the navy, he'd been a fan of the martial arts long before i was even a twinkle in his eye. fortunately, my mother was on board with the whole martial arts deal but with different reason. though, my father knew from first hand account that the martial arts promoted and taught dicipline, dedication, integrity, & a sense of honor. my mother how ever thought that it be a good idea o learn how to defend myself since i was smaller than alot of my peers. and watching the artistry & athletisism of bruce lee as a child, he captured my imagination & inspired me to walk the path of the warrior.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

I have no clue what started me in karate. I definatly didn't put as much thought into it as you are assuming I did. It just seemed like a fun thing to do and some of the parents remarked that it was a really good atmosphere to train in (good people, etc.). The spiritual part of it does appeal to me though.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

i got into it to destroy people.

i'm totally kidding.

my older brother did it and i thought it was cool. then i realized i was good at at it. i liked the way it made me feel physicall and mentally, and learning about the history became fascintating. as i got more experience, and gained more kata knowledge, that fascinated me too. i guess the longer i trained, the more reasons i found to stay. plus the physical fighting and self defense was cool to me because always liked sports. now looking baack at the time i;ve trained. i find that it has shaped and mold me into the man that I am now. I like the competetive aspects, but am more in tune to the deeper meanings philosopchically as well as bunkai related issues. I believe that martial arts will be a part of me throughout life. I will never stop.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I have re-named the thread to make it more specific to what I am looking for.

I am interested if anyone was actually influenced by karate's ancient eastern roots before they joined a karate club.

:)

i started for many reasons but the main one is 2 of my friends also do it and well ive always wanted to be like my friend andy even if he does tang soo do i will continue shorei kai karate.

shorei kai=graceful flowing