• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginners and Weapons

Pogo

Should beginners be given weapons?

In my school we dont use weapons till we are brown belt.

I was wondering what your oppinions were on the matter. :karate:

Pogo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
id say no, beginners should focus on more basic techniuqes with there hands and feet. I wouldnt say you should wait untill such a high belt like brown, id say in one of the middle belts.

my thoughts exactly.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I find in most styles once someone is profecient without weapons, the weapons part has already been half way completed.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I don't see anything wrong with getting people acquainted with weapons early on in their training. You have to remember there are styles out there that teach solely weapons, meaning people can become highly skilled in weaponry without having extensive empty hand training. If anything, it will aid their development in empty hand training.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

We generally don't teach lower ranks weapons. However, we had a little summer camp thing, and one of the things we did was teach a multitude (five) of weapons kata.

My conclusion from watching the kids is that rank doesn't mean a lot, sometimes. Some of the yellow belts (9th kyu) were great with the nunchaku - others...eh. There was an orange belt (8th kyu) who was probably the best beginner with sai I've seen. Conversely, there were green belts (4th kyu) that made me want to cry with their kata, and not because they were so great.

I think it depends on the student, the art, and the instructor. Rank might make it easier, though - I can learn new weapons kata like they're nothing, now - something I couldn't do as a younger student/lower rank.

Peace;

Parkerlineage[/i]

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 2 months later...