• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata

parkerlineage

I was going to put this on a different thread, in response to something else, but I decided it was too ranty (yes, that's a word), and therefore should go on its own thread. Enjoy. (and please, Kenpo practicioners (and others)...answer me this time!)

Kenpo kata are based on learning concepts.

Short Form 1 instructs the beginner to move backward, away from the attack, and teaches the basic blocks, and that the blocks can be excectuted with either hand, while it is important (to the beginner) to have their front foot match their hand, for better balance and strength.

Long Form 1 compounds on the concepts in Short Form 1, adding a single strike after each block with emphasis on rotation. It also demonstrates that a block can be performed with the off hand as well, along with introducing parts of new basics incorporated in Long Form 2.

Short Form 2 teaches the beginner to move in with strikes (back up mass), emphasizing double strikes or block/strikes, along with special attention to moving into blind angles and the importance of cat stances as transitional stances.

Long Form 2 compounds on the concepts of Short Form 2 with emphasis on the 45s, as well as introducing tons of new strikes/blocks.

Short Form 3 is the first kata that in comprised entirely of techniques, all of which are for grabs/locks, with emphasis on gravitational marriage. Because they are for grabs/locks, there is emphasis on the 45s.

Long Form 3 is also comprised of grab techniques, only they are performed on both sides, to familiarize the student with adapting to meet the attack. There is a lot of emphasis on deep horse stances, which solidify the karate-ka (or is it kenpo-ka?...ha...ha...) in their understanding of the first rule of Kenpo (create a base), and its importance in countering grabs.

Long Form 4 is known as the 'System Kata', and is comprised of all sorts of techniques for all varieties of attacks on both sides. I could go on for pages about 4, and others could make entire forums devoted to it, but I won't (and they won't, I assume).

Long Form 5 is to be performed as though each attack is unexpected, from an angle which the student is not prepared for. There is emphasis on twist stances, and the importance of centering one's balance while turning.

Long Form 6 is known as the Continuous Motion Kata, because, you guessed it, the motion is continuous. There is special emphasis on circular movement, as well as extreme angle changes, and thus, twist stances and centering. All the techniques are designed to fight weapons.

End of random essay thing. If anyone has any questions, comments, random thoughts, infinite insights...hit me with 'em!

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Edited by parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

graviational marriage can be placed in any of the forms pretty much that idea has been put out starting wikth short form 1 from what I saw.

which is pretty much from that concept which makes Parkers system of kenpo work.

Thanks for the informative post PL ! :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Gravitational Marriage - The body in line with the strike on a vertical plane

Gravitational marriage in Short 1 and Long 1? Where? I'm not seeing it...

Ed Parker

what?! How can you not. On the blocks accept for the up ward one. You got the drop of the weight putting the weight on to the block.

You step back your knee's been and your weight drops putting wait on the block.

Thanks for the information. I have only learned Long Form 6, and I learned it mostly from video. I’m still working on some of the applications. I would like to learn the other forms some day.

I’d love more information on these Kenpo forms, such as more specific details of applications in Long Form 6, mostly toward the end. How important to do you feel these forms are to one’s development in Kenpo?

Karate25: Aha. Kind of more like...gravitational divorce, right? (hehe) I still say it's rotation primarily, but I suppose I see your point, as well.

scottnshelly: Application of techniques in 6 at the end? The majority of the last techinques are gun techniques, and good ones, at that. I'll do the last three techniques - tell me if you need more (I can't recall their names, sorry).

Third to Last: This is for a gun attack from behind, as your video may have told you. The technique teaches/reinforces one of the basic principles of fighting a gun, which is get the heck out of the way! It also teaches the immediate need to destroy the weapon arm with the arm break. It then goes on to address the need to take/control the weapon through the grab, and then gives a few examples of things you can do with it (other than just shoot the guy).

Second to Last: This is for a gun attack from the front, and again addresses the need to control the weapon with the parry/hook, this time trading the weapons destruction for a pacifier (the eyestrike). The kick to the knee and drop correllate with the converse of the first law of Kenpo (create a base), which is to eliminate your opponent's base. The further control of the gun also shows the option of moving them rather than yourself (applied in other techniques as well), and then again, the technique offers strikes with the gun barrel/handle.

Last: Gun attack from the side. This one completes the family of you move/they move/ with you both move, by dodging and parrying at the same time. This is followed by immediate control of the gun, as usual. However, this time, they start backing away...hence, you chase them down (the steps) to maintain control - a new, and other very important principle for fighting guns - don't stop once you're in. This is followed by a very nice throw, and then, an interesting eyestrike that I've never seen anywhere else (in Kenpo).

The crazy circly hand movements at the very end are showing the breakdown and reversal of circles, and how they relate to one another. They are the beginning of the first and last techniques as well, kind of tying it all together nicely. Again, one of our hand isolations - there's one in every kata after the various sets (hand/finger, block, strike, kicking) are through...though I'm not sure where it is in 5...I'm guessing Circling the Horizon.

Hope that helps, and, to answer your question about whether those forms are important to development, I have two answers.

The good, traditionalist student answer: If they weren't, would Parker have made them?

The other one: Good principles, yes. Good practice, yes. Good for physical and mental excercise, yes. But so are the techniques. And you're going to have a heck of a time getting people to attack you from the right angles and the right strikes for you to do Long Form 6 on all of them.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Ed Parker

parkerlineage,

I see your point also with the rotation.

I might add both ideas make the technique work. On almost every technique or move what makes the move work alot of the times is application of weight. thats usually done by rotation, and also moving the weight down or up depending on what your doing.

when you watch ed parkers video's of him doing the moves especially on partner punching him hard thats where you see him having to apply the weight as I was talking about.

I like your ideas. I see by your name you did kungfu, karate, and jiu-jitsu as well. Did you do each one seperate or all of them combined in one art. I know som ellecitic arts combine them. Ie (shaolin Kempo Karate)

I hold no rank in either kung-fu or jujitsu. I train on occasion with an 8th Dan in kung fu, and an 8th Dan in jujitsu, but I don't pay them the official going rate or come to classes regularly, so I have no rank. My instructor swaps ideas with them on occasion as well, so we have limited mix of all three (more jujitsu than kung fu, since American Kenpo has very few throws/grappling).

As a double, I also meant that American Kenpo comes from those three arts, which is why I also choose to train a bit in them - to see my roots.

And I think our discussion of the upward block can be applied to a lot of things...many if not most strikes have multiple power principles.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Ed Parker