• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Art best suited to kicking and jump kicks

Furthermore, it's likely only a Regional form that'll use aerials in Capoeira. Angola styles generally don't do them. (I'm teaching Angola, albeit only as a monitor, and I never learned them beyond my teacher telling me that they were absurd.)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, as far as we're concerned, they'd just get you hurt in a roda or a real fight as a rule - maybe if you were really, really good at them, but when we see people do jump kicks, it's usually no trouble to move under them and they fall down and hit their head. They don't fit with the way that we have to be able to turn movements into other movements, and they give too much to the target to be street-practical. Thus, absurd. But if they're what you want to practice, go ahead.

well I've heard taekwon do practitioners say they like to do all these fancy kicks,but when it comes down to sparring or a real situation,those movements are not used at all.I guess what I'm saying is that theres no harm in doing them for fun,but for a real situation use what works.By the way I just saw the capoeira movie "only the strong" on the spanish chanel,I was very impressed.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I wasn't, it was pretty goofy. Decent story - needed another draft of the script though to clear up the silly stuff - the capoeira was unimpressive to absurd. And why they had people speaking spanish is a mystery to me, kind've like having a movie about a Japanese Aikido school and using actors trained in Cantonese for the scenes in Japan.

The capoeira scenes were pretty awful. I didn't see any esquiva, any mea lua de compasso, no negativa, and those are all fundamental to the style in a huge way and completely change how a fight scene looks. I blame choreographers who didn't understand the style at all, but it makes it look so foreign..

I've equated it to filming a movie about challenges to the first Aikido dojo in Japan... The actor playing O'Sensei gives a rousing speech about aiki and flow, then the students stand up to fight the challengers. Lo and behold, the studio trained the actors in Muay Thai and brought in a Thai kickboxer to choreograph it, so after talking about flowing and blending, they all raise their knees and start throwing spinning shin kicks.

I wasn't, it was pretty goofy. Decent story - needed another draft of the script though to clear up the silly stuff - the capoeira was unimpressive to absurd. And why they had people speaking spanish is a mystery to me, kind've like having a movie about a Japanese Aikido school and using actors trained in Cantonese for the scenes in Japan.

The capoeira scenes were pretty awful. I didn't see any esquiva, any mea lua de compasso, no negativa, and those are all fundamental to the style in a huge way and completely change how a fight scene looks. I blame choreographers who didn't understand the style at all, but it makes it look so foreign..

I've equated it to filming a movie about challenges to the first Aikido dojo in Japan... The actor playing O'Sensei gives a rousing speech about aiki and flow, then the students stand up to fight the challengers. Lo and behold, the studio trained the actors in Muay Thai and brought in a Thai kickboxer to choreograph it, so after talking about flowing and blending, they all raise their knees and start throwing spinning shin kicks.

well I guess I have to be a practitioner to see the good or bad in that movie.As for them speaking spanish,the whole movie was dubbed in spanish,so I didn't know about them not using portugese.Also yeah I know what you mean about the choreography, I've seen it in many films before.oh well it was something to pass my afternoon with.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu