• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Art best suited to kicking and jump kicks

tkd does do Aerial - just about where u train and the purpose... but like everyones saying so do other arts - look around at whats avaiable and what they train like.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever you do, good luck to you.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Hey,

If aerial techniques are what you are looking for I would try to find something with XMA. They have some pretty cool stuff.

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

Or, you could stick with your SBD, talk to an instructor (one that's good at the aerials...) about your focus. Remember, for a while the MDK was famous for its jumping kicks - check out some of the early early publicity, and tournaments - double jump back spinning kick anyone? The trick with any art that does those style kicks is a proficient instructor. I teach MDK TSD, but I don't focus as much on the jumping kicks as others do, both because of a self-defense focus and because (GASP) I'm just not as good at them - its hard to teach what you're not great at. In this case, someone who can help you understand what it FEELS like to do will help the most - someone who is or once was very acrobatic. Other arts to consider, are, of course TKD, Wushu, some forms of Hapkido, and Capoiera.

In Christ,

Master Phil Stewart

4th Dan Tang Soo Do

• 2 weeks later...

you should try Vovinam/Viet Vo Dao if u have one in your area.Since it was made for short people to take down tall people,they practice alot of arial stuff that looks really cool.Look it up seriously

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 3 weeks later...

why does everybody think shaolin kung fu has high kicks?

kung fu overall, especially northern shaolin has the lowest stances and kicks, especially their mantis

or am I wrong?

why does everybody think shaolin kung fu has high kicks?

kung fu overall, especially northern shaolin has the lowest stances and kicks, especially their mantis

or am I wrong?

You're wrong but it's ok. :)

Most northern styles tend to use high kicks...some of the thought behind this is that the aerial kicks were developed to dismount soldiers on horseback. another is that they were simply stronger legged as they inhabited mountinous areas. could be a combo.

Mantis uses mostly low to mid-level kicks. However, head-level kicks aren't unheard of.