• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Art best suited to kicking and jump kicks

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this. I trained in Soo Bahk Do MDK for about 8 or 9 years..then moved. I got away from the martial arts and focused more on HS sports. Now, I'm about to be a senior in HS, intend to play Varsity Lacrosse 2nd semester, but I am also very committed to returning to the martial arts world. I definitely miss the training. I'm trying to decide whether to return to MDK or seek out Tae Kwon Do or a different style altogether. I would love to hear everyone's opinions on the best kicking and jump kicking martial arts. Also, a little gymnastics as well in combination with other techniques would be very interesting..even though I have no idea what art that would be. However, my main focus is on aerial techniques. Thank you

kyle

2nd Dan Soo Bahk Do. Dan Bon - 36884

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the art associated with gymnastic aerial kicks that i've heard is TKD. I think there's a gungfu style that also tends to do a lot of aerial kicking. I'm a bit curious as to why you feel aerial kicking is important, however.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

purely for my own enjoyment Zero. jump kicks are great in sparring...but not as openers..say as the 3rd movement in a combination..or when properly set up they are devastating. but pretty much cuz i jus love it. i've got a great vertical jump (ex bbal player lol) and love what you can do in the air.

2nd Dan Soo Bahk Do. Dan Bon - 36884

Tae Kwon Do, Northern shaolin, Iga Ryu Ninjitsu

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Apart from TKD, northern chinese kung fu incorporates a lot of kicking.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I do Tae Kwon Do and we do VERY LITTLE aerial kicks, we only do them for show, but when he just wants us to kick high at the head for practice , because if a person can put a lot of power at a high point which is difficult, then you can double that power when you go lower like in the chest or abdomen, which where the self-defense part comes in. when it comes to Jump kicks we to NONE.

"Who Dares, Wins"

hear everyone's opinions on the best kicking and jump kicking martial arts. Also, a little gymnastics as well in combination with other techniques would be very interesting..even though I have no idea what art that would be. However, my main focus is on aerial techniques. Thank you

kyle

I would say that either TKD or wushu would be your best bets. Both have a lot of kicking and aerial content, although TKD is less oriented that way than wushu is.

For the flashy stuff such as 540's, flips, x-outs, etc. then you should fine a school that has a demo team that does such things, or a TKD school that supports XMA adjunct training as well.

Almost any art will have some aerial techniques, how far you take it is up to you.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player