• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kenpo vs tae kwon do or karate

google them all and do your research big question to answer considering there are alot of styles of karate and kenpo out there and also vary's from same style do to instructors training emphasis.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo(China /Japan)- most kicks are low, has throws, locks, a lot of fast punches. Most techniques react to the opponents movement.Focusing on projection(hitting with more power)and circular movements. Its fast striking techniques make a lot of movements into one technique which makes it devastating.

Tae Kwon Do(olympic) - A lot of high kicks, no punching training at all. no locks, no grabs and no throws.they focus on speed and how high they can raise their kicks.

Tae Kwon do (traditional)(from Korea) - pretty much like japanese Karate though it focuses more on the kicks. I cant really talk much about this art, all the people I know take Tae Kwon do it for sport.

Karate(Japan) - very formal, strong hits, punches, all kinds of kicks(like in Tae Kwon Do) however, they are more selective as to when they use kicks.locks, throws. stances provide for rooting and power to attacks instead of more speed.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Tae Kwon Do Traditional: Similar to many striking arts, uses kicks to a greater extent, large separation between practice of Poomse [patterns] and sparring. Some schools train more for self-defense and so will engage in full-contact trainign, with some grappling brought in - but rarely to any advanced degree. Majority of schools neglect grappling and ground work.

dont get me rong i dont look down on tkd at all.I dont mean any disrespect to the art with my comment and i dont base the whole art on sport tkd.Thats way i put most schools.now with that out of the way

I dont see any comecton between the two arts .One tkd is korean formd arround 1955.Kenpo is a tradisonal martial arts ben around for centures i belave not really shure on exact date.for one there macanices for troung kicks and punces is completly difrent than in tkd.Also in kenpo thay stess the use of joint locks and selfdefince holds much more than thay do in the tkd schools i have seen.Tkd also belives in the internial and spiritule part of the martial arts kenpo does not.Theys are just a few of the difrences i have seen.

What i mean by looping kickes.Thats very simple a lot of sport oreanted tkd schools i have seen trough there round kicks and cresent kicks in a huge circuler mostion becasue of this you can see the kick coming a mile away.I have tough seen tkd schools teach you hide your kicks but thay was very few.

Once agean i dont mean disrespect to tkd by my post.I fell it is a very butifel art with probly the most athletic marilartis i have ever see.I just fill with all the sport studios out there its very hard to find a tradishonl tkd studio that focuse on manly self defince to were 9 out 10 kenpo schoold do focus on selfdefince

there is a slight connection. especially in my school, my teacher also studied tae kwon do and so it kinda filters through every now and then with his technique. but mostly it comes from me studying kenpo karate, because there is a good bit of karate in there. in a way, it is a bit of a mixed martial art because a lot of the techniques were derived from other arts. the defences sometimes resemble jujitsu, especially in the joint locks. but a lot of the striking techniques come from karate, and traditional kenpo. and we throw in boxing in there in there depending on the situation.

Hey everybody, haven't been on for a while, but I've been reading this post intently for the last half hour or so and I can't help but notice that the themes coming up here, mainly about TKD and its various adaptations, seem to come up in every post in which TKD is compared to any other art. In fact, I've noticed that this whole 'comparative styles' category elicits a lot of bickering (mostly respectful and constructive, but sometimes bitter and shameful) about which style has what qualities and why they are different, even if the degree of this difference is barely noticeable. Now I must admit that I am guilty of participating in these arguments in the past (always respectfully :wink: ) and I'm very guilty of defending Tae Kwon Do as a traditional, well rounded art, but the common conclusion (the one that nearly every thread of this sort ends with) is that it is up to the individual to express himself using his martial arts, and therefore every martial artist will have his or her own unique style (ideally). In regards to the subject of the post: Kenpo vs. TKD or Karate (or comparisons of style in general) If you want know how different styles of martial arts differ, the fact is they don't differ at all. Kenpo is the same as TKD is the same as Karate is the same as Kung Fu is the same as BJJ etc, etc. The only thing different is the person practicing and his or her own level of understanding of the self. His or her martial arts is just the way he or she expresses that understanding.

That's all.

I'm done.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of valid points in addition it seems to me kempo focuses on closing distance, whereas the TKD sparing matches Ive seen they like to keep there distance, this is merely an observation Ive never formally taken TKD so it could just be a certain instructor's training :-?

There is no teacher but the enemy.

taekwondo means "the way of the hand and foot"

but the training metohods employed in MOST takewodno schools I have seen both what would be considered tradiational and olympic or a mcdojo taekwondo school the emphis is on the feet.

Kenpo is more from what I seen on the hands as opposed to kicks.

Karate is a good mixture of both.

depending on which style and how the instructors teach both kenpo and karate have diffrent styles were some may appear more rigid or "stiff" robotic like compared to the others.