My little brother got beaten today

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but walking away from hostile situations is also building a child's character - but not in a way that is healthy.

At the risk of being considered a geek, there was once a Star Trek episode where the inspiring and capable Picard had a chance to go back in time and change history, chosing to walk away from a fight rather than jump into it as he had before (sustaining an injury he was dying from in the future). He broke up the fight and went back to the future to find that he was now the ineffective, picked upon, hassled, powerless nobody of the ship, at which point he had to go back in time again to get in the fight.

If you walk away from a bully today, you will have to walk away from the taunts of the bully tomorrow and for months to come. You will also learn to walk away from any situation in which you have to deal with hardship, like - trying to get the promotion at work, trying to protect your family, etc..

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Well, yeah. SOMETIMES, walking away is best. Sometimes it isn't. I see a lot of people advocating pacifism at any cost, regardless of situation. That viewpoint is clearly in error.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

If I truly believe I cant win a fight, and its not a fight worth picking... I'm not going to fight as if tryign to prove something.

I am never goign to let myself be pushed around by anyone- if I have to defend myself, theyre goig to get a real fight. however, you have to learn how to pick your fights.

Again, its 10 year olds we're talking about here.... not 18 year old bullies kicking the crap out of a 13 year old.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

no - you missed my point slightly...... (a) walking a way does not relate to you beign a spineless underling for the rest of your life.... depends on why you walk away.

Also - pacifists saying "violence never solved anything" - should really read a history book :D

If I truly believe I cant win a fight, and its not a fight worth picking... I'm not going to fight as if tryign to prove something.

I disagree , loosing a fight is better than loosing self respect

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Everyone's standpoint on this issue is determined on life experiences, morals, and the way you were brought up. Personally i would of let it go so long as they dont go for head shots. True he is 10 but so much more goes on while your not around. As far as cheering for him i dont think that woulda been the best idea i would have gave him a few pointers but cheering just lets him know you support him (in this case in a fight) this may lead to future conflicts, but have a talk with him afterward. If there is anything you should have learned from taking kyokushin karate it should be to apply the things you learned from class to real life situations (bro's fight). Hopefully neither of them got too hurt but just make sure he doesnt turn up to be a trouble maker.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless like water. When you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; when you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; when you put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow- or it can crash. Be water my friend. ~Bruce Lee

I disagree , loosing a fight is better than loosing self respect

Why fight if you can avoid it? I'm not talking about a challenge at the dojo , I'm talking about a streetfight in which you could end up in the hospital or dead- if I cant avoid it ,say, to defend someone I care about, I will defend myself as best I can.

You have to learn how to chose fights and knowing where your limits are. If you cant, you'll just prove you are able to take hits because of your ego :P

depends on the situation

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty