• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Juka Emerald or Kamikaze American???

rbittner

I have narrowed down my Gi choice based on previous posts to the Juka Emerald or the Kamikaze American. I have been using a light-weight student Gi up til now. A major consideration for me is that I live in Austin, Texas and it is HOT most of the time. Also, I need a Gi that will last. Any advise on these two, or any others, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where do you study, rbittner? I used to live in Austin myself.

I just received my Kamikaze America a week ago and have worn it twice already. It's a little stiff until you have washed and (I know it's heresy) dried it a few times. The cut is a generous one, though, and the $95 street price is a good one for a quality uniform. The America is definitely better than my ProForce 14 oz or my Wacoku 14 oz. The increased attention to detail is apparent. I think next time I get the urge to buy a new uniform, however, I might pick up the Kamikaze Monarch since it is brushed cotton and might be more comfortable from the start.

I've not tried the Juka Emerald, but it is apparently a lighter weight gi than the America. Honestly, the heavyweights are not hot once you get used to them. Once you work up a sweat you are fine, and the heavy cloth is much better for soaking up perspiration.

• 1 month later...

I've got the Juka Emerald myself.

I've used it for a few years now, and personally I love it. It's done well for me in tournament, and stands up to lots of punnishment.

Even though it's a 'heavy' gui, i used to train with a judo gui, so this is a step lighter for myself.

I dont' live in texas, in BC Canada actually, but I live in the semi-arid desert part of the province, the summers here are constantly over 100*f, dry, and we never get much rain *hence the semi arid desert*

I have used the kamakaze, however i'm a huge fan of the juka emerald.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )