• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pulling Punches

Hart

I think the prevailing wisdom is not to pull punches (meaning less than 100% power) but rather to refocus the target in front of the person so as not to do damage. Punching at less than 100% is bad training...

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I/we don't pull our punches. When doing Ippon, Sanbon, Nihon, ect., kumite, we adjust speed to suit the experience. In other words, I would strike at a whitebelt a lot slower than I would a blackbelt. We don't get into the what I think is the bad habit of pulling punches. Have I ever punched anybody in class you ask? Yes. But that is because that person didn't get out of the way in time. Result? A broken nose. That is the first thing we learn. Get out of the way, then do as you wish.

Carl

you fight how you practice. they only way i'd ever pull a punch is if i were training with a kohai (junior) and i'm talking about the first 3 ranks from starting. if you're training with someone who is at least of equal body size, you should not pull your punches. if a student doesn't know how a commited strike is supposed to feel, how are they supposed to handle it out on the street?

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

I agree that pulling punches is a testament to control, but if it becomes a habit that can be dangerous.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

yeah, pulling punches as an ability to PLACE a punch somewehre is fine.... but pulling punches to miss a target as a trainign habbit probably isnt the best.

• 2 months later...