• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Calling Goju-People

SyracuseJundokan

GOJU_BOI,

Here are some of the differences between Japanes GOJU-KAI and the Okinawan Organizations. I and my family have a very extensive background in both.

Kicking:

A Japanese MA brings the knee up higher and uses two front kicks you don't see as much in Okinawa. Ball of the foot kick to the torso, and instep kick to the groin. The Okinawan fron kick does not have you bring the knee up very high, and is more of a short thrust. The Japanese theory is that you get more extention on the kick by pointing the toes up or down, and more power when the knee comes up. Japa The okinawan version is very effective too. The short thrusts are fast and powerful.

Blocking:

If you look at an Okinawan MA doing high block, the rotation of the fist at the end of the movement is more exagerated. The Goju-Kai way is not as exagerrated to protect the wrist from getting hurt. You'ss see other similar small differnences

Diamond Pattern:

Diamond Pattern is footwork used in cat stance. I have only seen it taught in Goju-Kai. It is usually only taught to Black belts. There are some American black belts that I have met with a rank as high as 5th Dan in Goju-Kai that haven't even heard of it. The Diamond Pattern workout is 2 1/2 - 3 hours in length. I have never seen a back belt in a street fight or competition lose when using this type of footwork. Very effective.

Free Fighting:

Yamaguchi was very much a believer in Kumite. For many years, most Okinawan DOJOs did not take part in free fighting. More have adopted it. The Jundokan has for example.

The differneces that I have highlighted will also be found in USA GOJU. Peter Urban (One of my Dad's former instructers a long time ago) was a student of Gogen Yamaguchi.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"who is sensei Ramon in Houston, some times my sensei mentions his name as a practice partner in 80's."

as for P.A.L. , if youre speaking about Ramon Veras Sensei then he is a Goju-ryu sensei from sugarland.This guy is one of the highest ranking senseis in the city and goes and does seminars all over.He's also my senseis and sempais sensei.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu